CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1296675
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296675.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 12:10:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Breinton
National Grid Reference:
SO 47352 39527

Details

BREINTON CP - SO 43 NE 7/1 Church of St Michael

26.1.67

GV II

Parish church. C12 core almost entirely rebuilt and enlarged by P. R Kempson 1866 - 70. Coursed and squared sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings, slate roofs. Nave with bell turret, north aisle and south porch, chancel with north vestry. Nave: west rectangular bell turret with short octagonal broach spirelet. South front: paired trefoil-headed lights to left and group of three similar lights to right of gabled south porch; trefoil in roundel to both returns of porch. Three pairs of similar trefoil-headed lights to north aisle, vestigial remains of C12 semi-circular headed doorway to west end and re-set semi-circular headed light above. Chancel: two trefoiled ogee-headed lights to south; east window with three trefoiled ogee-headed lights. Contemporary late C19 interior; plain chancel arch and four-bay arcade to north aisle, stained glass in north aisle windows by Powell, 1874. Monuments: Rudhall Booth memorial 1685 wall tablet, painted wood with arms, rustic lettering. (BoE, p 84; RCHM Vol II, p 26). - -

Listing NGR: SO4735239527

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
154187
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 26
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 84

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Dec 2004
Reference: IOE01/11700/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jeff Andrews. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].