CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1296885
Date first listed:
18-Mar-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, BIRMINGHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1296885.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:12:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, BIRMINGHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wyre Forest (District Authority)
Parish:
Churchill and Blakedown
National Grid Reference:
SO 88076 78474

Details

CHURCHILL & BLAKEDOWN CP BIRMINGHAM ROAD (south side) SO 87 NE Blakedown 7/73 Church of St James the Great - II Parish church. 1866, by G E Street, extended 1905. Sandstone rubble with machine tile roof. Nave, chancel and north aisle of 1905. Nave: three bays with two cinquefoiled light window to left, a trefoiled lancet, gabled porch to right. West window of three cinquefoiled lights under 2-centred head below timber bellcote with shingled pyramidal roof. Chancel: one trefoiled lancet; east window of three cinquefoiled lights. Aisle: two windows of two pointed lights, to left end a window of two cinquefoiled lights under square head. Interior: three-bay arcade to aisle has two Tudor arches and a smaller 2- centred arch to west. Bellcote supported by large arch-braced collar truss. Fittings: almost all are early C20. (BoE, p 93).

Listing NGR: SO8807678474

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
157060
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 93

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16713/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Burrows. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].