Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of 1, CASTLE STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1297184.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 18:14:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Sedgemoor (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
ST 29992 37180



ST2937SE CASTLE STREET 736-1/10/16 (South side) 24/03/50 No.1


Harbour Master's house, now offices. 1723-8. For James Brydges, Duke of Chandos. By Benjamin Holloway or Fort and Shepherd, the Duke's London surveyors. Red and yellow Flemish-bond brick, Ham Hill stone quoins and plinth capping, painted stone architraves, pantile roof hipped to the left with brick stacks to rear corners. 2-unit central-entry plan. 3 storeys with basement; symmetrical 3-window range. The upper storey is entirely of red brick but the quoin to the left appears to be continuous. Segmental arches and thick glazing bars to 6/6-pane sash windows with crown glass panes; moulded cills, windows to left and right have moulded architraves, those to centre have painted rusticated stone segmental arches and jambs, each stone the size of a brick. The moulded architrave to the C19 six-panel door has a moulded keystone and plain plinths. To left of the door is a timber lintel to a wide late C18/early C19 shop window which has 4 rows of 7 panes with thin glazing bars and a timber cill. Flanking the door are segmental arches to the basement. The left return has no plinth, it is one-window range with segmental arches and moulded cills to a C20 6/6-pane sash window to the second floor, 6/6-pane sash to the first floor with thick glazing bars and a forward frame and a similar window below with thin glazing bars. A blocked door to the right has a low lintel to a grille over a basement opening. INTERIOR: room to ground-floor left, behind the shop window, has a diagonal corner chimney breast to rear left corner, a reeded cornice and C19 tongue-and-grooved planking below a dado rail. The floor to this side is higher than the rest. The stairs against the rear wall are late C19 to ground floor and early C18 with closed string, turned balusters and moulded rail to the upper floors. Room to first-floor right has a corner chimney breast to rear right and a moulded cornice stopped over the windows which reach the ceiling. The terraces of houses in Castle Street form an important group, unusual for their scale and ambition outside London's West End. (Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1660-1840: London: 1978-: 428; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset: London: 1958-: 100; VCH: Somerset: London: 1992-: 200).

Listing NGR: ST2999237180


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 428
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1992), 200
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958), 100


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/02488/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Paulette Bjergfelt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].