NO 16 AND ATTACHED WALL TO LEFT RETURN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1297186
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
31-Jan-1994
Statutory Address:
NO 16 AND ATTACHED WALL TO LEFT RETURN, 16, CASTLE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NO 16 AND ATTACHED WALL TO LEFT RETURN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1297186.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:06:12.

Location

Statutory Address:
NO 16 AND ATTACHED WALL TO LEFT RETURN, 16, CASTLE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Bridgwater
National Grid Reference:
ST 29905 37194

Details

BRIDGWATER

ST2937SE CASTLE STREET 736-1/10/30 (North side) 24/03/50 No.16 and attached wall to left return (Formerly Listed as: CASTLE STREET (North side) Nos.6-14 (Even) No.16)

GV I

House. 1723-8 for James Brydges, Duke of Chandos. By Benjamin Holloway or Fort and Shepherd, the Duke's London surveyors. Flemish-bond red and yellow brick, moulded stone cornice, architraves, cills and doorcase; double-Roman tile roof with brick stacks to gable ends. Double-depth plan with late C18 rear right wing. 3 storeys with cellar; symmetrical 5-window range. The cornice sweeps up to the left, there are no quoins or features on left return, implying that terrace was intended to continue. Segmental arches to cyma-moulded architraves, plain cills with moulded brackets and 6/6-pane sash windows with thin glazing bars. The doorcase has a similar architrave to the windows flanked by diagonally-set fluted pilasters supporting a triglyph frieze with patera and guttae below a moulded cornice, the door has a segmental-arched top and 6 late C18 beaded panels. To right is a segmental arch to the cellar opening. The rear has timber lintels and some crown glass to 6/6-pane sash windows with thin glazing bars. INTERIOR: the closed-string dogleg stairs to right of hall have a moulded handrail and turned balusters. Room to first-floor left has painted fire surround with carved consoles, jambs and lintel, a late C18 cast-iron grate with fine decoration of swags and female figures flanked by 4-panel cupboard doors each with a cornice, L hinges and a raised and fielded panel above. Room to first floor of rear wing has a dado rail and wooden Adam-style fire surround with moulded panels to the sides and swags and roundels below a moulded cornice. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached to rear left return is a rubblestone wall with occasional dressed slabs incorporated, approx 3m high and 18m long, which has brick jambs to former entrance to rear courtyard. The terraces of houses in Castle Street form an important group, unusual for their scale and ambition outside London's West End. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset: London: 1958-: 100; Colvin H: A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1660-1840: London: 1978-: 428; VCH: Somerset: London: 1992-: 200).

Listing NGR: ST2990537194

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
373846
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 428
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1992), 200
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958), 100

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/02488/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Paulette Bjergfelt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].