This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1297278



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Apr-1994

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386912

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



NY3956SE WEST WALLS 671-1/6/309 (West side) Nos.10-22 (Even) incorporating city walls


City wall, mews stables, warehouses and school; now theatre, public house, amusement arcade and disco. Early C12 city wall, 1813 school, late C19 mews and 1980s public house, etc. These later buildings in themselves are not of interest but are listed to protect the city wall behind them. The front wall of each building on the West Walls facade being built on top of the west city walls. Robert Smirke suggested that buildings could be built against the walls when he advised on the building of the Central School; see correspondence in Cumbria County Record Office, Ca/2/209/76 and Ca/5/3/39, and conveyances of the School 1919-20 as St Cuthbert's Parish Hall (the school closed 31 August 1909) Ca/5/2/40. That the city wall exists behind these buildings was confirmed by work done by the Carlisle Archaeological Unit in recording the structure when "Legends" and "Big Softies" were extended in 1985. For the through-archway and chamber behind the wall, thought to be the sewerage outlet for Blackfriars Convent, now within the Green Room Theatre, see W Hutchinson (1794); Carlisle Journal (1829); and Lysons Magna Britannia: Cumberland (1816), for drawings of the chamber. This stretch of city walls does not form part of the Scheduled Ancient Monument of the remaining exposed West Walls, but is a continuation of it. For the further continuation of this wall see under the Central Plaza Hotel, Victoria Viaduct (qv). (Carlisle Journal: 7 February 1829; Lysons: Magna Britannia; Cumberland: 1816-: P.CCVII; Hutchinson, William: History of Cumberland: 1794-: P.607).

Listing NGR: NY4002155726

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hutchinson, , History of Cumberland, (1794), 607
Lysons, Reverend D, Lysons, S, Magna Britannia Cumberland, (1816), 207
'Carlisle Journal' in 7 February, (1829)

National Grid Reference: NY 40021 55726


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1297278 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2017 at 06:52:30.

End of official listing