This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1297368



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cumbria

District: Carlisle

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Jun-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 386582

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



NY3956SE CARLISLE CASTLE 671-1/6/13 Captains Tower and Inner Bailey 01/06/49 Walls


Gate tower and curtain walls. C12 walls, C13 tower with C14 modifications and some C19 alterations; walls partly rebuilt 1821-4 and 1834-5. Squared blocks of red and calciferous sandstone; walls battered, partly buttressed and partly with broad pilasters; tower with buttress, pilasters and flat lead roof. The inner bailey is roughly triangular comprising north, south and west walls. The west walls face into the outer bailey and have a central 3-storey square tower (an earlier blocked gateway can also be seen in this wall). At the front of the tower the portcullis slot and platform above have been cut away (c1919), exposing a pointed archway under 1819 blocked doorway and windows. Crenellation was also removed in 1819. The rear of the arch has blind C14 tracery under a Tudor mullioned window. INTERIOR not inspected. North wall is extensively buttressed (these partly collapsed in 1821 and had to be rebuilt). On the angle of the south and north walls was Queen Mary's Tower which had to be demolished in 1834-5 and rebuilt in 1835 with a plain crenellated wall. South walls look C12 with broad pilasters. Behind the west and south walls are earth embankments to take guns and a broad stepped ramp gives access to the west wall; beneath the northern part of the west walls are arched casements. The north parapet wall retains two C18 24-pounder cannons. For full details see McCarthy et al (1990).

Listing NGR: NY3972256238

Selected Sources

Books and journals
McCarthy, M R, Summerson, H R, Annis, R G, Carlisle Castle : A Survey And Documentary History, (1990)

National Grid Reference: NY 39722 56238


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1297368 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2017 at 01:29:03.

End of official listing