Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1297737

Date first listed: 28-Nov-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 31-Oct-1994



Ordnance survey map of WALDEN CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1297737 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 18:11:44.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Essex

District: Uttlesford (District Authority)

Parish: Saffron Walden

National Grid Reference: TL 53907 38722


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TL5338 MUSEUM STREET 669-1/1/305 (East side (off)) 28/11/51 Walden Castle (Formerly Listed as: Walden Castle)


Remnant of tower-keep. Late C11 or early C12. Flint and mortar core of walls severely degraded. Rectangular plan, approx 12.3m square with NW projection of forebuilding. 2 storeys survive. Interior has a central pier base to support upper floors and ground floor semicircular arched recesses approx 2.0m deep on the N, S and W sides. S recess has some herringbone pitched flint work, also shuttering ridges in the soffit mortar of S, SW and N recesses. On first floor, a recess on W side has been interpreted as a fireplace (RCHM). The walls are breached through on SE corner, on site of stairs and tunnelled through at back of the N recess. A well, now covered, exists in the NW angle. Over this corner is a low projection built in the C18 as a semaphore station. Although a ruin, areas of original flat wall facing of simple flint work survive in several places ie. exterior, centre of N wall, outer face of pilaster buttress and adjacent wall on E side, interior, rear wall of recess in S wall and adjacent wall to E. Some of the walling is covered with ivy. HISTORICAL NOTE: it is not known who built the keep. Stylistic comparison suggests a building date of the second quarter of C12, cf. Farnham Castle 1138, Ascot Doilly Castle 1129-42. Geoffrey (II) de Mandeville was however forced to surrender the castle to Stephen in 1144. (Chelmsford Archaeological Trust Report, CBA Research Report 45: Bassett SR: Saffron Walden to 1300: London: 1982-: 15 -18; The Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Ratcliffe E: Essex: London: 1965-: 333).

Listing NGR: TL5390738722


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 370692

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Essex, (1965), 333
Bassett, S R, 'Council for British Archaeology Research Report Chelmsford Archaelogical Trust' in Saffron Walden to 1300, (1982), 15-18

End of official listing