CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1297830
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
07-Jun-1993
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, ST STEPHEN'S HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1297830.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 02:50:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST STEPHEN, ST STEPHEN'S HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cornwall (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Launceston
National Grid Reference:
SX 32476 85701

Details

LAUNCESTON

SX3285 ST STEPHEN'S HILL, St Stephen 660-1/3/222 (East side) 27/02/50 Church of St Stephen (Formerly Listed as: Church of St Stephen-by-Launceston)

GV I

Parish church. Norman chancel surviving from collegiate church of Augustinian Priory founded 940AD which later moved to St Thomas (qv); consecrated 1259 and extended 1419 and early C16, restored 1883 by Hine and Odgers. Granite ashlar 3-stage tower with setback buttresses,strings dividing stages and embattled parapet with crocketted corner pinnacles; also granite ashlar to remainder of west end and south aisle up to and including porch, otherwise slatestone rubble with granite or greenstone dressings; low-pitched roof hidden by embattled parapets. Plan: 4-bay nave; chancel; C16 west tower; south aisle shallow S transept and 2-storey porch; north chancel chapel. Exterior: C15 Perpendicular traceried windows with hoodmoulds, most with 5 lights, to north wall. East wall of chancel has 2 blocked doorways or windows with niches and carved Norman volcanic stone statues; seated Saviour, and Virgin and Child probably from an Adoration of the Magi (Pevsner). Tower has 5-light window over 2-centred arched doorway with square hoodmould C17 studded oak door with angled random planks; clockface to 2nd stage; 3-light window to each side of upper stage. Porch has 4-centred arched doorway, also inner doorway with original C15 or C16 studded door. C19 windows in Perpendicular style to S aisle. INTERIOR: skimmed walls; 4-bay Polyphant stone arcade with square piers with demi shafts and 2 centred arches; another bay to east of rood with more-complex moulded piers to S transept, late C19 greenstone arch to N aisle. Late C19 oak roof structure with squat 4-centred arched moulded tie-beam trusses with trefoil-headed arcade above and moulded wall plates and purlins; Norman arches visible to north and south walls of chancel near C13 rear arches. Medieval holy water stoup in porch. Fittings: round Norman font of volcanic stone with 3 cabled cornice to round shaft on moulded rings to square base; cinquefoil headed aumbry niche to south wall of chancel; C18 holy water stoop in porch; medieval stone coffin at west end; late C19 rood screen and late C19 pitch-pine pews with carved oak ends including three C16 bench ends with quatrefoils; elaborate late C19 pulpit. Monuments: slate slab set into north wall to Digory Prior, died 1631 with guilloche border and coat of arms; another to N wall of chancel to John? Briers of Colacott, (q.v.) Werrington parish, died 1615, with Corinthian end pilasters and scrolled pediment; another to S transept dated 1667 with most of ornate inscription; wall marble aedicule to S wall of aisle to John Tripp, 1792-1864. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Cornwall: London: 1953-1970: P.200 & 201; Kelly's Directory: Directory of Cornwall: 1902-: P.170, 171).

Listing NGR: SX3247985700

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
370083
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Gloucestershire: The Cotswolds, (1970), 200-1
'Kellys Directory' in Cornwall, (1902), 170-171

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Sep 2005
Reference: IOE01/14725/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian J Williams. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].