BELTON & MANTHORPE
SK9239 MAIN STREET, Belton
1315-0/8/51 (South East side)
20/09/66 Church of St Peter and St Paul
Parish church, closely associated with the Brownlow family of
Belton House since 1638. Mainly c1200 and c1400; chancel 1721,
altered early C19; south porch 1775; memorial chapel 1818;
vestry and restoration late C19. Memorial chapel, west door,
nave parapets and some interior features by Jeffry Wyatville,
c1815-1820. Chancel and vestry, nave with clerestorey, north
aisle, memorial chapel, south porch, west tower. Ashlar and
coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings and steep pitched
plain tile roofs.
Chancel, single bay, has plinth and coped east gable. 3-light
Perpendicular east window, blank sides. North aisle has a
2-light pointed arched east window and corner buttress. Flat
roofed vestry has a diagonal buttress and a 2-light flat
headed east window, and to north, a door and a 3-light window
with 4-centred arch and hood mould.
Nave, 3 bays, has 2-light Perpendicular clerestorey windows
with sill band and linked hood moulds, string course,
crenellated parapet, and coped east gable with cross. South
side has a diagonal buttress to east, and a Tudor arched
3-light Perpendicular window with hood mould. North aisle has
a 2-light Perpendicular window with 4-centred arch and hood
mould. West end has a similar window, now boarded.
Memorial chapel, single bay, has plinth, crenellated parapet
and gable. North gable has a stylised cross, c1921, and angle
buttresses topped with tall crocketed pinnacles. West side has
to north an ogee headed niche, and to south, a 3-light
Perpendicular window with hood mould.
South porch has plinth and moulded parapet, crocketed gable
with finial, and diagonal buttresses topped with finials.
4-centred arched moulded doorway with hood mould.
West tower, 3 stages, unbuttressed, has quoins, plinth and
string courses. Lower stages C13, with pointed arched west
door in a projecting flat topped surround, c1816, by
Wyatville. Above it, a cusped single lancet. Middle stage has
a single lancet to south. Both these have hood moulds. Upper
stage, dated 1638, has crenellated parapet with corner
pinnacles topped with wind vanes incorporating the Brownlow
crest. On each side, a 2-light pointed arched bell opening
with hood mould.
Interior, rendered, has C14 chancel arch with round responds.
Chancel has a traceried king post roof with arched tie beams
on brackets, dated 1811. East window has an ogee crest by
Wyatville, c1816, and is flanked by C19 commandment boards
with elaborate crocketed gables. Stained glass 1847, by T
Willement. North side has a moulded 4-centred arched doorway
with chamfered responds.
Nave has a Perpendicular ceiling with moulded beams, bosses
and brackets, by Wyatville. Heavily restored north arcade,
c1200, has a central pier with incised lozenge decoration and
scallop capital. Rebated arches, the east one with lozenge
ornament, and half-round responds. Moulded pointed tower arch
with round responds. South window has heraldic stained glass,
1823, possibly by Willement.
North aisle has Perpendicular style roofs at the east and west
ends, and panelled plaster ceiling by Wyatville to the
remainder, under restoration at time of survey. Memorial
chapel has Perpendicular style fan vaulting gabled niches in
the corners, and an elaborate Decorated style cusped tomb
recess and crest under the west window. South porch has a
stone roof with ribs, and a moulded 4-centred arched doorway
with hood mould. Traceried door, C15. Above it, Royal arms,
early C19, under a label mould. Tower chamber has a stained
glass west window, 1852.
Fittings include an octagonal stone font in Norman style,
probably reworked C19. Altered C17 octagonal oak pulpit with
sounding board. Altered early C18 altar rail with twist
balusters. Benches with fleurs-de-lys, 1891.
Memorials: an outstanding collection of sculptural and
architectural monuments to the Brownlow and Cust families of
Belton House. These include demi-figures, mid C17, by Joshua
Marshall to Richard Brownlow, and 1679, by William Stanton to
Sir John and Lady Alicia Brownlow: monuments with sculpted
figures, 1754 by Sir Henry Cheere to Viscount Tyrconnel; 1770,
by W Tyler to Sir John Cust; 1807, by Westmacott, to Sir
Brownlow Cust; c1818 by A Canova to Sophia, Lady Brownlow.
Other important works by Edward Stanton and Christopher
Horsnaile, John Bacon, W Theed, C Marochetti, Feodora
Gleichen, G G Scott and Nina Cust.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N, Harris J & Antram N:
Lincolnshire: London: 1964-1989: 133-135; Guide to the Parish
Church of St Peter and St Paul: Belton: 1990-; Gunnis R:
Dictionary of British Sculptors 1660-1851: London: 1951-:
Listing NGR: SK9298339533