BISHOP HANNINGTON MEMORIAL CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1298638
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1992
Statutory Address:
BISHOP HANNINGTON MEMORIAL CHURCH, HOLMES AVENUE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1298638.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Aug-2020 at 12:46:25.

Location

Statutory Address:
BISHOP HANNINGTON MEMORIAL CHURCH, HOLMES AVENUE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 27736 06371

Details

HOVE

TQ20NE HOLMES AVENUE, West Blatchington 579-1/3/177 (East side) Bishop Hannington Memorial Church

II

Parish church. 1938-9 by Edward Maufe. Day centre addition 1970s. Brown brick laid in stretcher bond, stepped brick cornice, hipped panile roofs, flat roof to day centre, pyramid roof to tower. Plan: chancel, north-east organ bay, south-east Lady chapel, tower over crossing, 5-and-a-half bay nave with low single-storey aisles, west end gallery and entrance; day centre addition on north front in similar style. Tall 3-stage tower with 2 and three 4-centred arch openings with wooden louvres to bell-stage, double doors on to wrought-iron balcony on north front of second stage, entrance to north aisle and nave via day centre addition which masks much of north front. 5 pointed arch metal windows with divided tracery lighting nave, similar on south front, west end with recessed pointed arch opening with ornamental brickwork. West window, west door flanked by small 2-light windows, double doors with painted lead lintel inscribed "In this place I will give peace saith the Lord". Datestone to left of entrance inscribed "To the Glory of God this stone was laid by the Lord Bishop of Chichester the 26th day of November 1938 in memory of James Hannington 1st Bishop of East Equitorial Africa". Above it is a smaller stone with a martyr's crown in relief and the words "29 Oct 1885 Uganda". South front with low single storey aisle with 2-light windows. Interior: roughcast. Unmoulded 4-centred chancel arch. Pitched roof to centre of nave rising from flat ceiling with square cross-shaped panels thought to be for ventilation, exposed acoustic panels between between pale blue stained wooden rafter and purlin roof stencilled in silver with motifs representing the bishop-martyr's crown, stars and wavey lines for the sea. Chancel roof rendered with painted panels forming a 'tester' over the altar table. Original light fittings of paper or cloth in the form of a martyr's crown. West gallery with exposed acoustic panels. Identical pulpit-podiums of sculptural simplicity at east end of nave. Unmoulded pointed arch openings to aisle bays, also to aisle window recesses and supporting the flat roof of the aisle. Chancel floor of travertine marble, nave of Sussex beech cut on the quarter. East end wall with large tempera painting by Augustus Lunn, the result of a competition, representing Christ preparing his followers to preach the gospel. Bishop Hannington, to whom the church is dedicated, was murdered by Masai tribesmen in 1885 while on his journey to Uganda to set up the first bishopric of East Equatorial Africa; hence the frequent use of the martyr's crown motif. A simple and gracious interior with some good detailing, including brasswork to doors and star-shaped window catches in the Lady Chapel, by Maufe, who was concurrently engaged on designs for Guildford Cathedral.

Listing NGR: TQ2773606371

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
365549
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14489/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Jonathan Brooks. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].