RALLI MEMORIAL HALL, WALLS AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1298671

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1992

Statutory Address: RALLI MEMORIAL HALL, STATION APPROACH

Statutory Address: RALLI MEMORIAL HALL, WALLS AND RAILINGS, DENMARK VILLAS

Map

Ordnance survey map of RALLI MEMORIAL HALL, WALLS AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1298671 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2018 at 02:39:14.

Location

Statutory Address: RALLI MEMORIAL HALL, STATION APPROACH

Statutory Address: RALLI MEMORIAL HALL, WALLS AND RAILINGS, DENMARK VILLAS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: The City of Brighton and Hove (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: TQ 28968 05488

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ2805SE 579-1/14/39

HOVE DENMARK VILLAS (West side) Ralli Memorial Hall, walls and railings

GV II

Community centre. Dated 1913. Architects Read and Macdonald of London for Mrs Stephen Ralli, builders Chapman, Lowry and Puttock. Wrenaissance style. Red brick laid in English bond, hipped clay tile roof with upswept eaves and strongly moulded wooden dentil cornice, brick stacks. L-plan fronting Denmark Villas with long return of the assembly hall onto Station Approach. 2 storeys over basement 1:3:1 bays, end bays project forward with pilaster quoins and drops in place of capitals under hipped roofs with shallow pediments to oriels bays carried on shaped brackets, all mullion and transom windows with leaded lights, central oriel gives access to balcony over hexagonal porch, flanked by mullion and transom casements and garlands enclosing the date AD 1913; ground floor with segmental headed casements below oriels, Ionic porch projecting for 3 bays and recessed for 3 bays with 3 pairs of 12-light double doors with shaped heads, approached by a shallow flight of 3 steps. There is an ornamental cartouche in the centre of the solid parapet to balcony. Ornamental hoppers to square section down pipes. North return of 2:1:6:2 bays, dentil moulded cornice returned around head of bulls-eye window over entrance in third bay left, 6-light mullion and transom windows to buttressed hall, plaque in central bay inscribed "This stone was laid by Stephen Andrew Ralli grandson of Stephen Ralli in memory of whom this all was erected by his wife 14 April 1913". Brick piers with moulded plinths and coping carrying ball finials to inner bays returned south and north to entrance on Station Road Approach, continued along the north elevation; wrought-iron railings set in dwarf wall. A fine composition.

Listing NGR: TQ2896805488

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 365517

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing