Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1299416.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-May-2021 at 15:42:01.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 32735 65343


NW 36 NW 1/90

JARROW, GRANGE ROAD (north side), Jarrow Town Hall

(Formerly listed as South Tyneside Education Office)


Council offices. Dated 1902. By Fred Rennoldson of South Shields. Bright red brick and bright red glazed terracotta; roof of Welsh slate. L-plan, mostly baroque style. 2 storeys; 5 bays and corner turret to main elevation. 9 bays to return. Main elevation: entrance, in 3-storey tower in fourth bay, has deep semi-circular hood corbelled out from pilasters, broken pediment on pilasters to first floor window, a later clock projecting from third storey rusticated, aproned window opening. Rusticated ground floor, having wide, elliptical-headed windows, 3-light and transomed, in Gibbs surrounds. All 3-light mullioned and transomed brick windows, with 3-centred arched heads, on first floor; some with blind tracery in lower third. Strings, modillioned eaves cornice; pilasters define bays. Roof has balustrade, baroque dormer left of entrance tower and arches in corner turret. Left return of 9 bays has 2-bay gable with cartouche, scrolled pediment, obelisk finial; 3-storey entrance bay having 'County Court' cartouche in centre of 4 gabled bays of 3 storeys, and corner bay with cornice and turret. Historical note: foundation stone laid by Lady Palmer. Plaque in council chamber commemorates the decision taken there in 1936 to march to London - the Jarrow march.

Listing NGR: NZ3273565343


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01299/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A Hubbard. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].