CHRIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1300326
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1984
Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, SLADES LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHRIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300326.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 23:00:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHRIST CHURCH, SLADES LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Meltham
National Grid Reference:
SE 10096 11869

Details

SE 11 SW SLADES LANE (Helme) 2/42 Christ Church

II

Gothic Revival church in Decorated style. Built 1859. Endowed by Charles Brook of Healey House, in memory of Charles John Brook of Thickhollins. Rock faced stone. Steeply pitched red plain tiled roof which becomes more shallow over aisles. Square tower in south- west corner. 4-bay buttressed nave. 2-bay chancel. Aisle windows are 3-light some with intersecting and some with reticulated tracery. 5-light east window and 4-light west window, both with Decorated tracery. South porch of timber on dwarf walls. 2-tier square tower with angle buttresses with off-sets. Small 2-light traceried, louvred bell chamber openings and round clock'faces, all, with hood moulds. Eaves cornice to tower which is surmounted by slender splay-footed shingled spire.

Interior: 4-bay arcade to north and south, on short octagonal piers. Arches are double chamfered. Long, light chancel with carved stone reredos, in form of blind arcade, with carved foliage in spandrels. Painted texts on walls including the Creed, the Lord's Prayer, and the Ten Commandments. Good gilded eagle lect of 1908 with Art Nouveau stem. No stained glass. Arched braced collar beam roof on corbel brackets.

Listing NGR: SE1009611869

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
340878
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03937/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Turner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].