TISBURY LODGE WITH GATES AND GATE PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1300419
Date first listed:
06-Jul-1987
Statutory Address:
TISBURY LODGE WITH GATES AND GATE PIERS

Map

Ordnance survey map of TISBURY LODGE WITH GATES AND GATE PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300419 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 03:51:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
TISBURY LODGE WITH GATES AND GATE PIERS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Fonthill Gifford
National Grid Reference:
ST 93040 30999

Details

FONTHILL GIFFORD FONTHILL ABBEY WOOD ST 93 SW (south side)

1/89 Tisbury Lodge with gates and gate piers

GV II

Lodge to Fonthill Abbey. 1860 by William Burn for Marquess of Westminster. Limestone ashlar, Welsh slate roof with coped verges, ashlar stacks. L-plan. Scottish baronial style to match Fonthill Abbey, also by Burn and demolished 1955. Single storey and attic, two sashes. C20 timber porch attached to stone porch with 4-pane sash, to right is cylindrical tower with narrow round-headed lights and conical roof with corbelled eaves and finial. Left return facing drive has canted bay with 6-pane and 4-pane sashes, 6-pane sash to first floor with carved heraldic arms of Marquess of Westminster. Rear has 1960's lean-to extension with sashes, to left is 2-storey wing with sashes. All sashes in roll-moulded architraves with rounded corners. Interior of porch retains original planked front door with ornamental hinges, stair turret with stone newel staircase. Attached to left are 2 pairs of square limestone gate piers with obelisk or ball finials and wrought-iron scrolled gates, dwarf walls either side. (NMR: drawings by Burn dated 1860; Country Life, 28th December 1901)

Listing NGR: ST9304030999

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
320878
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Country Life' in 28 December, (1901)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 46 Wiltshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/10150/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne Thomas. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].