CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1300496
Date first listed:
01-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300496.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:22:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GILES, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Exhall
National Grid Reference:
SP 10213 55102

Details

SP15NW EXHALL MAIN STREET (South side) 3/89 Church of St Giles

01/02/67 - II

Church. C12 nave with alterations c.1320, and C13 nave. Restored and partly rebuilt 1862 by Solomon Hunt, mostly at the expense of the Reverend H.C Carleton. Lias and limestone wtih limestone and some sandstone dressings. Chancel of coursed rubble, but east gable and south wall rebuilt in regular courses from height of 4 feet. Nave south wall and western part of north wall irregular coursed, eastern part of north wall rebuilt. Tile roofs with coped gables. Nave and chancel each of 2 bays, not quite in line; south-west porch and bellcote of 1862. Gothic arched door, and porch with hood mould and low angle buttresses. Blocked Romanesque north door with scalloped capitals; shafts missing. Most windows of 1862. Nave has straight-headed Decorated south window of 3 ogee-headed lights, with segmental arch inside, and ballflower decoration. North window with tracery of 2 cusped crosses. 2 west lancets and central buttress with coped top. Bellcote with clock below and lead pyramid roof. Buttresses to north and south walls largely renewed. Chancel has 2-light Decorated east window, renewed, with hood moulds continued across wall. To north two C13 lancets, to south one 2-light window and one lancet, inside with rere arches. Diagonal and south buttresses. Interior: simple arch-braced roofs. Chancel: late C19 glass in east window. 2 small brasses: John Walsingham (died 1566) and his wife. Nave: west door to cupboard. Plain tapered cylindrical font on moulded octagonal base. V.C.H.: Warwickshire III, p.90; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.291).

Listing NGR: SP1021355102

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
305101
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 90
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 291

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07287/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].