WOLFHALL MANOR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1300523
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1986
Statutory Address:
WOLFHALL MANOR

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOLFHALL MANOR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300523 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 15:18:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
WOLFHALL MANOR

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Burbage
National Grid Reference:
SU 24167 61897

Details

GRAFTON - SU 26 SE 4/25 Wolfhall Manor II Farmhouse, C16, C17, c1800 and c1880. Brick and timber framing. Tiled roof. Two-storey and attics, 4-bay core structure with C18 east wing and stair tower in reentrant, to which is added a c1800 2-storey 6-bay north wing, further extended to east c1880. Original structure upper floor timber framed, possibly jettied, with stack in 3rd bay and 4th bay framed gable. North wing with door in 3rd bay; 6 panelled with open pediment on paired brackets. Twelve-pane sashes with painted brick lintels to ground floor, 6- pane above. West gable with canted bay, C18 wing with later C19 extensions and bay linking to late C19 extended wing with pierced carved bargeboards and decorated stacks. Lean-to verandah. Sun Insurance sign No 51253. Interior: Chamfered ceiling beams. Stone fireplace to ground and first floor. Some C18 panelling to sitting room. Brick culvert below stair block on different alignment, C16-C17, although Aubrey states building was always timber framed. Major demolitions c1855. The building is on the site of the Seymour manor house visited by Henry VIII in 1535 and 1539, derelict at and abandoned after 1571. Seymour glass reset in Great Bedwyn church, (q.v.). (Jackson Canon J.E. Wolfhall and The Seymours WAM XV 140-207).

Listing NGR: SU2416761897

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
310745
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, , Vol. 15, (), 140-207

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].