CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1300525

Date first listed: 28-Oct-1959

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300525 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2019 at 19:59:05.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, THE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Little Somerford

National Grid Reference: ST 96725 84368

Details

LITTLE SOMERFORD THE STREET ST 98 SE (north side) 3/272 Church of St John the Baptist 28.10.59 GV I Anglican parish church, c1300 with C15 west tower, restored c1860. Rubble stone with stone slate roof and coped gables. Nave and chancel in one with south porch and thin west tower. Body of the church has restored 2-light Y-traceried windows with hoodmoulds, moulded sill course to nave and angle buttresses. South side has 2-light each side of porch, chancel has 1905 single light (replacing a 2-light), C19 door and a 2-light. Porch is late C15, ashlar-fronted with coped gable and sundial, moulded plinth and broad four-centred arched entry with hoodmould and carved shield over. Plank door within in C14 broad hollow-moulded pointed arch with hoodmould, damaged, niche over and stringcourse each side. Chancel has C19 three-light east window with reticulated tracery, north side Y-traceried 2-light and C19 lean-to vestry. Nave has two Y-traceried windows, hoodmoulds, sillcourse and blocked pointed north door. C15 tower is roughcast with angle buttresses, small 2- light bell-openings, cornice with angle gargoyles and ashlar embattled parapet. Narrow west door and 3-light Perpendicular window over. Interior: original roofs have been strengthened with heavy C17 framing on tie-beams, nave has collar rafter roof with straight braces, chancel similar but with curved braces, probably formerly ceiled. Tower arch has 2-chamfer segmental-pointed head and is infilled with royal arms dated 1602, formerly in tympanum over chancel screen, but removed 1983. 1928 tower screen by Sir R. Lorimer. Moulded sill course and hoodmoulds to windows each side and some C17 painted texts: Creed and Ps. 72 vv 1-3 to north, Lord's Prayer to south. Fine timber chancel screen, basically C14 with heavily moulded top and quatrefoil frieze, centre opening and five ogee-headed lights each side. Lower panels removed in C17 and some added pinnacles each side of centre. Exceptional C15 boarded tympanum with paintings concealed until 1983, two censing angels each side of Ten Commandments, angels on a deep red ground. Lower part is missing. It is suggested that the Commandments are a C16 replacement for a rood. Chancel walls show signs of 2-light to north, blocked for vestry and to south around 1905 lancet. Shouldered-headed piscina, C19 sanctuary paving, north side organ. Fittings: in nave C17 pews, cut down, and matching c1900 pews in nave and stalls in chancel. C19 octagonal font with C17 wood cover. Fine two-decker heavily carved pulpit and reading desk dated 1626, missing sounding board. On north window sill the circular head of a c1300 churchyard cross with Crucifixion on one side, Virgin and Child the other. Stained glass of fine quality, pre-Raphaelite style, of 1866 in one south window, the other with glass of 1932 by W. Glasby, north side has 1920 glass in head of former north door and C19 patterned glass elsewhere. Chancel has reredos of c1900 to match C17 pulpit, 1930 neo-Georgian communion rails, east window glass of c1860, north of c1890 and south of 1863, and various C19 wall monuments. (N. Pevsner, Wiltshire, 1975 300-1; K.R. Clew, Church Guide 1985)

Listing NGR: ST9672684374

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 316399

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Clew, K R , Church of St John the Baptist Little Somerford Wiltshire Church Guide, (1985)
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

End of official listing