CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1300575
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300575.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:44:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Taynton
National Grid Reference:
SP 23412 13544

Details

TAYNTON Church of St. John the SP2313 Evangelist 10/161 12/09/55 GV II*

Church. c.1360 nave and north aisle; south aisle c.1500; chancel rebuilt c.1865 by W.F. Poulton. Stone ashlar; stone slate roof to chancel, other roofs not visible. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay aisled nave and west tower. North side: C19 stone porch to centre of aisle, having 2-centre arch on half-columns. 2-centre arched doorway with hood mould and double-leaf door. 3-light Curvilinear-tracery window to left of aisle. Three 3-light stone mullion windows to clerestory, having cusped lights and hood moulds. 3-light Reticulated-tracery window to right return of aisle. 2 lancets to chancel. Battlemented parapet to aisle, plain parapet to nave. South side. Blocked 2-centre arched doorway with moulded surround to left of aisle. Stone 4-light mullion and transom window to right with cusped lights and hood mould. 4-light stone mullion window to left, above doorway, with cusped lights and hoodmould. Lancet to left return of aisle. C19 paired lancets to organ chamber and vestry. Plain parapet to aisle. Three 3-light stone mullion windows to clerestory having cusped lights and hood moulds. Triple lancet to East end of chancel. West tower has louvred lancets to upper stage and louvred 2-light Rectilinear-tracery openings to top stage. Battlemented parapet. Interior: 2-bay C19 arch-braced collar truss roof to chancel. 3-bay Perpendicular roof to nave with moulded ribs and gilded bosses, probably largely C19 restoration,. Nave arcades of 2 two-centred arches on fluted piers. 2-centre arch to tower. Rood-screen steps to left of chancel arch. Elaborate C15 octagonal stone font. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1979, pp804-5)

Listing NGR: SP2341213544

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253719
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 804-5

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/15358/14
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek Cotterill. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].