This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1300587



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Redbridge

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Apr-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 20-Jun-2003

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 204816

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


937/15/3 HIGH ROAD 20-JUN-03 Chapel, Ilford Hospital of St Mary and St Thomas of Canterbury (Formerly listed as: HIGH ROAD Chapel of the Hospital of the Virgin M ary and St Thomas of Canterbury)

II* Hospital chapel at Ilford Hospital of St Mary and St Thomas of Canterbury, founded c1145 by Adelicia, Abbess of Barking as a hospice for aged and infirm men. Chapel, early to mid C14 and later, with possibly earlier core, repaired 1719, renovated 1781, extended and reordered 1889-90 adding south aisle, Lady Chapel and vestry, extending nave. Organ installed early C20, additonal fittings 1922-4; chaplain's house and almshouses rebuilt 1927. Rendered rubble masonry, stock brick, stone dressings, tile roof. Continuous nave and chancel, the nave extended to the west; north porch and organ loft. South aisle, Lady chapel and vestry. Belfry over chancel. North elevation, rendered rubble masonry. Porch, probably 1889, of square stone blocks, with tiled roof; diagonal buttresses flank reset early C14 outer arch, restored 2002-3, single lights to flanks, inner doorway and doors late C19 and early C20. Vesica with AM monogram. Flanking windows, early C14 much restored, each of two trefoiled lights under cusped quatrefoil, and with moulded hoodmould. Sanctuary window, early /mid C14, restored, of two cinquefoil lights, under extended quatrefoil, similar window to south, both probably inset in earlier fabric. Organ loft, under catslide roof rebuilding dated 1927. East window, of three-light panel tracery, restored. South elevation, five -bay aisle, Lady chapel and vestry in stock brick with stone dressings, under flat roof. Two light windows, with trefoiled and cinquefoiled lights, those with trefoiled lights thought to be reset from former south wall. Tracery of cinquefoil lights resembling chancel windows. Hood moulds with figure stops. Two light west aisle window under rectangular hoodmould. West end of nave, similarly of stock brick; small west doorway with ogee head , late C19; west nave rose window in rectangular opening, under single lancet, gable surmounted by cross. Belfry with shingled spire set over chancel crossing. Interior. Six bay nave with south arcade of octagonal piers. North nave windows and two of south aisle windows with flat chamfered mullions, the remainder hollow chamfered, Sanctuary, Lady Chapel and vestry windows with deeper chamfered mullions. Close boarded barrel roof, with painted cusped panels over chancel screen; panels to sanctuary roof embellished with gilded stars.. Flat, boarded roof to aisle. Stone pulpit with moulded panels. Nave screen of slender wrought iron, formerly carrying gas lamps, set on tall stone base. Chancel doorway, C19, with cusped head under rectangular hood with enriched panels. Chancel pews and altar rail probably installed by Ingleby, provenance unknown. Fine marble reredos, thought to be Italian, depicting Last Supper behind cusped arcade. Oak panelling with embellished pulvinated frieze, installed 1924. Lady chapel restored 1922-4 as War memorial. Reredos by Ninian Comper. Wrought iron screen. Monument to John Smyth. d.1475, 1889-90, in late medieval manner, replacing former brass. Recumbent figure under canopy, the sides reusing fine C15/C16 panels with blind arcade. Octagonal font to west end of nave, remaining panel from tomb set in south wall above. Floor of black and red tiles with herringbone border. Glass: East window, outer panels depicting Virgin Mary and Thomas a Becket, memorial to Rev. James Reynolds, d. 1866. Former east window glass, C16 or early C17, some to Gresham family, set in north sanctuaryl window. South sanctuary glass, mid C16 Flemish, formerly at All Saints church, Epping Upland, installed, 1889-90. West aisle window, Morris & Co, to designs by Burne -Jones, a memorial to Clement Mansfield Ingleby, of Valentines Park, father of the incumbent. Rose window attributed to Henry Holiday, (1839-1927).

Listing NGR: TQ4354586368

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Thorne, , The Environs of London Walford Greater London
'The Builder' in 19 August, (1927)

National Grid Reference: TQ 43545 86368


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300587 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2017 at 03:52:15.

End of official listing