CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1300619
Date first listed:
12-Sep-1955
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Aug-1989
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST OSWALD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300619.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 19:00:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST OSWALD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
West Oxfordshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Swinbrook and Widford
National Grid Reference:
SP 27341 12090

Details

SWINBROOK AND WIDFORD WIDFORD SP2712 13/144 Church of St. Oswald 12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Oswald of Widford) - II*

Church. Built on site of Roman villa; C13 nave and chancel, restored c.1904. Uncoursed stone rubble; stone slate roof; stone bellcote between chancel and nave. 3-bay nave, and 2-bay chancel. South side: 4-centre-arched doorway to centre of nave with plank door. Trefoiled lancets to left and right of nave. Trefoiled lancets with hood moulds to left and right of chancel. North side: blocked round-arched doorway to centre of nave, 2-light stone mullion window to left of nave. Trefoiled lancet to right of chancel. West end: 3-light stone mullion and transom window. East end: 3-light Reticulated-tracery window. Interior: chancel collar-truss roof. Medieval wall paintings. Piscina to right of altar. C17 communion rail with flat wood balusters and moulded wood rail. Fragments of Roman mosaic flooring to left and right of chancel floor, below level of floor. Nave: 3-bay collar-truss roof. Medieval wall paintings. C18 box pews. Hexagonal wood pulpit with tracery panels probably made from C15 screen. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1979, p841)

Listing NGR: SP2734112090

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
253702
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Sherwood, J , The Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, (1974), 841

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/09512/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Philip Barnett. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].