CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1300859
Date first listed:
24-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1300859.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 18:58:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Vale of White Horse (District Authority)
Parish:
West Hanney
National Grid Reference:
SU 40619 92800

Details

WEST HANNEY CHURCH STREET SU4092 (South side) 13/162 Chuch of St. James 24/11/66

GV II* Church. Nave c.1150; late tower C12; C13 south transept; C14 south arcade and aisle, and nave lengthened to west; C15 chancel; C19 restoration, including raising of nave, addition of clerestory, and porch. Stone uncoursed rubble; slate roof to chancel and tower, old plain-tile roof to nave and south aisle. 4-bay nave with south aisle and south transept, north tower and 2-bay chancel. C19 porch to left of centre of nave with 2-centred archway on cluster columns. Romanesque doorway on spiral columns having dog-tooth imposts and richly carved arch; C19 plank double doors. 2-centre arched doorway to right-return of tower with C19 plank door, 4-centre arched doorway with hoodmould to centre of chancel. Romanesque lancets to centre of nave with some C19 stone work. C19 two-light plate tracery window to left of nave. Two 3-light stone mullion windows to chancel with arch-topped lights and hood moulds. Romanesque lancet to tower. South side: 2-centre arched doorway to nave right of centre with stone hood on brackets. Paired cusped lancets with flat heads to left of centre, and to right, of nave. C19 fenestration to south transept, including 3-light geometrical tracery window to south end. 3-light stone mullion windows to chancel. C19 quatrefoil windows to clerestory. Interior: C19 kingpost roof of 4-bays to chancel. C19 plate tracery windows to west end. 5-light Perpendicular tracery window to east end of chancel with hood mould. Interior: C19 kingpost roof of 4-bays to chancel. C19 arch-braced collar truss roof of 8 bays to nave. C19 scissor-truss roof to transept. C19 lean-to roof to aisle. Piscina to right of altar. Late C17 altar rail of turned wood balusters. C15 chancel screen with C19 wood panels to base. 2-centred chancel arch of 2 orders; inner order carried on three-quarter columns with foliate capitals supported on corbels. C17 wood hexagonal pulpit to left of chancel screen. Romanesque font on C19 stepped plinth. Round font has vertical bands of rosettes. South arcade of four 2-centred arches on cluster columns. Fragments of medieval glass to windows of aisle. (Buildings of England: Berkshire; 1975, p263: VCH: Berkshire: Vol 4, 1924, p291-2)

Listing NGR: SU4061992800

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
250200
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ditchfield, P H, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Berkshire, (1924), 291-2
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Berkshire, (1975), 263

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 May 2004
Reference: IOE01/12296/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gary Irvine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].