HAZLE HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1301204
Date first listed:
24-Jun-1988
Statutory Address:
HAZLE HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of HAZLE HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301204 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 06:40:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
HAZLE HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Craven (District Authority)
Parish:
Clapham cum Newby
National Grid Reference:
SD 72735 68061

Details

CLAPHAM-CUM-NEWBY SD 76 NW 7/5 Hazle Hall - II House. C17 with C19 alterations. Coursed rubble, stone dressings, stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Quoins in central bay indicate that this was the first building, now contains early C19 central entrance with Doric pilasters and round head with keystone; narrow flanking lights; C20 glazed door and fixed lights. On upper floor is C19 window with plain surround and similar windows on each floor in right-hand bay which is of watershot masonry; C20 casements. Left-hand bay contains former entrance with chamfered surround, now partly blocked and C20 fixed light inserted. To left on each floor is 3-light chamfered mullioned window; C20 casements. Right-hand shaped kneeler, gable end coping. Gable end ridge stacks, that to left is a massive external stack; 2 ridge stacks at former gables of central bay. At rear projecting gabled wing to left of centre contains ground floor C17 chamfered mullioned window to right, and similar window on upper floor with mullion now missing; to left is transomed stair window. Central and left-hand bays are C18 extensions and contain a flat faced mullioned window and a round headed stair window with impost blocks and keystone. Former home of Edward Gorrel, one-time Inghamite preacher who was converted to Sandemanianism in the 1764's. Source, J F Riley The Hammer and the Anvil (Clapham, N Yorks, 1954, p 26.



Listing NGR: SD7273568061

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
324143
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Riley, JF, The Hammer and the Anvil, (1954), 26

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].