THE OLD MAIDENHEAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1301234
Date first listed:
19-Aug-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
16-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
THE OLD MAIDENHEAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD MAIDENHEAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301234 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Oct-2019 at 14:53:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD MAIDENHEAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Lyonshall
National Grid Reference:
SO3373455570

Details

LYONSHALL CP

LYONSHALL

SO 35 NW 19.8.53 4/20

The Old Maidenhead (formerly listed as The Maidenhead Inn)

GV II

Former inn, now house. Late C15 or early C16; earlier with with later C17 additional wing; further late C19 and C20 alterations. Timber-framed on sandstone plinth with wattle-and-daub infill, now completely roughcast rendered; painted squared sandstone rubble porch; C20 tiled roof. Two parallel ranges aligned north-west/south-east with gable ends to road; lateral stacks. Entrance to right gable end and further entrance to left-hand return of left wing. Two storeys. Entrance front with two gable ends. The earlier left- hand wing projects forward and has one 2-light C20 casement window and a canted bay window with casements to the ground floor; gable end of added wing to right with two 2-light casement windows to upper floor and one 3-light casement window to right of stone porch with lead-to roof. Three-light case- ment window to porch to left of square-headed outer doorway; inner half-glazed door. The interior reveals the moulded bressummer and former jetty on the eastern side of the earlier wing, now enclosed in a central passageway. The close-studded timber-framing of the earlier wings is also revealed. (RCHM, Vol III, p 142).

Listing NGR: SO3373455570

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
150278
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 142

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 Jun 2004
Reference: IOE01/12284/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Tresise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].