This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY

List entry Number: 1301271

Location

CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Bromsgrove

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Belbroughton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 16-Nov-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 156282

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 9076 - 9176 BELBROUGHTON CP CHURCH ROAD (west side) Belbroughton

12/17 Church of the Holy Trinity

16.11.67

GV II*

Parish church. C12 origins; altered C13; partly rebuilt C14; further alterations in C15 and C16; restored and extended 1894-5. Sandstone ashlar with plain tiled roofs partly behind parapets with cross finials at gable ends; older chancel has fishscale-tiled roof with decorative ridge tiles. West tower, three-bay nave with south aisle and south porch and three-bay chancel; C19 nave or three bays with two-bay chancel adjoins to north. Decorated style. West tower: C15; three stages with strings and continuous plinth; diagonal buttresses at west end; 3-light west window; loopholes in north and south side, of intermediate stage; 2-light louvred bell-chamber openings; embattled parapet and octagonal spire with ogee-headed lucarnes and weathervane. There is a stair turret in the south-east angle. Nave: mainly restored C13 work retaining some C12 fragments; south aisle set beneath catslide roof; buttresses at bay divisions; C12 window in west bay; 2-light C19 window in east bay and west end; C19 square-headed 3-light window at east end with adjacent restored C17 memorial to Richard Tristram. Central C19 gabled south porch has a heavily moulded archway with hoodmould and a pair of cusped openings in the side elevations. Round-headed south doorway incor- porates C12 work and has roll mouidings and double-shafted jambs. Chancel: C14; east end buttresses (angled on south side); continuous sill string; windows have hoodmoulds with head stops; 3-light east window with cusped lancet above; three 2-light windows and round-headed doorway in south elevation. C19 nave has buttresses at bay divisions (diagonal at west end); three-bay arcade at west end, outer bays are blind, central bay has double doorway; 4-light window with hoodmould and sill string above; ogee light in apex. North elevation has a 3- light, and two 2-light windows and an ogee-arched doorway which incorporates C14 stonework. C19 chancel has gabled buttresses with blind tracery at its east end, a 5-light east window with rectangular light above, a 2-light north- west window and north-east doorway with a cambered head. Interior: old nave has a largely C19 south arcade of two chamfered orders on concave octagonal columns. The north arcade is a C19 reconstruction and has tall slender piers. C16 chancel arch is Similar to south arcade; in the south jamb is the entrance to and remains of the rood stair and also a cusped opening. There is a C15 tower arch. Nave and chancel roofs are C17 with collar and tie-beam trusses. On the eastern nave tie-beam is written "WT: 1654: GW" and on the western chancel tie-beam is written "Laus Deo/ This Roofe was new built at the/ charge of Richard Tristram Rector/ 1660". The old chancel has a large ogee- arched tomb recess, a C15 sedilia and a C13 reset piscina. C17 panelled reredos and altar rails. Traceried chancel screen. South aisle has a C13 cusped piscina and also the remains of wall paintings. C15 font with octagonal bowl and quatrefoil panels. Jacobean octagonal pulpit with dragon frieze, strap- work and grotesque corbels; the lectern is of similar date and design. Memorials: there are.numerous C18 and C19 memorials in the old chancel, some of which are ornately detailed. Glass: some medieval fragments in a nave window. South aisle east wndow and south chancel window by Kempe. This substantial parish church has retained a considerable proportion of its medieval fabric and its C17 roofs and furnishings are of particular interest. (VCH 3(i) p 117: BoE, p 77-8).

Listing NGR: SO9192276865

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1924), 117
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 77-8

National Grid Reference: SO 91920 76862

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301271 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 02:36:55.

End of official listing