BURTON IN LONSDALE ENDOWED FIRST SCHOOL SCHOOLMASTERS HOUSE AND GARDEN WALL AND GATEPIERS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1301402
Date first listed:
24-Jun-1988
Statutory Address:
BURTON IN LONSDALE ENDOWED FIRST SCHOOL SCHOOLMASTERS HOUSE AND GARDEN WALL AND GATEPIERS

Map

Ordnance survey map of BURTON IN LONSDALE ENDOWED FIRST SCHOOL SCHOOLMASTERS HOUSE AND GARDEN WALL AND GATEPIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301402 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Jul-2019 at 03:25:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
BURTON IN LONSDALE ENDOWED FIRST SCHOOL SCHOOLMASTERS HOUSE AND GARDEN WALL AND GATEPIERS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
North Yorkshire
District:
Craven (District Authority)
Parish:
Burton in Lonsdale
National Grid Reference:
SD 64823 72294

Details

BURTON IN LONSDALE SD 67 SW 1/8 Burton in Lonsdale Endowed First School: Schoolmaster's House and garden wall and gatepiers - II Formerly schoolmaster's and schoolmistress's houses, now one house. 1853. Ashlar, slate roof. Gable end to street. Symmetrical composition, 2 storeys, 4 bays. 2 entrances, former master's to left and mistress's to right, both with single-storey projecting porches. Tudor arched head to moulded surround and moulded stepped parapet; plank door to left, glazed to right. 2 ground floor 3-light cavetto mullioned windows; fixed lights. Upper floor sill band with panel below inscribed: ERECTED AND ENDOWED AT THE SOLE EXPENCE OF RICHARD THORNTON ESQ OF THE CITY OF LONDON MERCHANT ANNO DOMINI 1851; TO COMMEMORATE THE PLACE OF HIS NATIVITY, AND FOR THE FUTURE BENEFIT OF THE POOR CHILDREN OF BURTON, AND THORNTON IN LONSDALE On upper floor are 2 outer single light windows with cavetto jambs and splayed sills, and 2 similar but 2-light windows; casements. In centre is round headed niche with moulded surround containing bust of Thornton on octagonal pedestal. In gable is panel inscribed: THORNTON'S SCHOOL FOUNDED AD 1853 Flanked by 2 small trefoil breathers to roof space. Corbelled sexagonal finial to gable. Gable is stepped to left and right with animal gargoyle on left-and right-hand return. To left is gable end of boys' school: 2-light lancet window with recessed panel above inscribed 'PERSEVERANCE'. Gargoyle in form of winged animal and fleur-de-lis finial to gable. To right is gable end of girls' school in similar style with panel inscribed 'INDUSTRY'. Garden walls and gatepiers of rock faced masonry and ashlar coping. Retaining wall to garden has 4 octagonal pillars and 2 pillars at base of steps. 4 similar gatepiers at entrance to boys' school and master's house, with a similar arrangement to the mistress's house, linked by a wall fronting the road.



Listing NGR: SD6482372294

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
324103
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Nov 2007
Reference: IOE01/17006/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Tim Nichols. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].