This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

STABLES AND COACH HOUSE AT MARSKE HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: STABLES AND COACH HOUSE AT MARSKE HALL

List entry Number: 1301417

Location

STABLES AND COACH HOUSE AT MARSKE HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Marske

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 322778

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 10 SW MARSKE MARSKE

1455/9/77 Stables and Coach-house at Marske Hall

04.02.69 II

Former stables for race horses and carriage horses, with coach-house. 1741. Designed by Thomas Worsley, of Hovingham Hall, for John Hutton. Rubble with ashlar dressings, stone slate roofs. PLAN: quadrangular. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, main elevation 3:1:3 bays. Central bay projects slightly. Ashlar plinth, and walling up to impost level. Ashlar projecting quoins at ends and to central bay. Ground floor: round-arched openings, that in central bay open and with Gibbs surround, the others each with ashlar architrave with tripartite keystone, and continuous impost band, and with recessed ashlar panel with round-arched window with glazing bars, some of the panels having been removed. First floor: 6-pane sash windows with thick glazing bars in eared ashlar architraves with sill brackets. Cornice band, moulded in centre bay. Roof hipped at ends and also over central bay, which supports chamfered rusticated ashlar clock tower with cornice, surmounted by C19 cupola with lead roof and weather-vane. Entrances to stables from inside central archway. Side returns: 7 bays of recessed arcades. INTERIOR: stables have round-arched manger recesses. Inside courtyard, opposite entrance: 3 round-arched coach-houses, the central one taller, in ashlar stonework, and 3 first-floor 6-pane sash windows in plain ashlar surrounds. To sides, 3 even-sized round-arched coach-houses, flanked by windows.



Listing NGR: NZ1031400278

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 10314 00278

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301417 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 09:57:40.

End of official listing