BARN ABOUT 40 METRES NORTH OF BREFORTON GRANGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1301470
Date first listed:
30-Jul-1959
Statutory Address:
BARN ABOUT 40 METRES NORTH OF BREFORTON GRANGE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BARN ABOUT 40 METRES NORTH OF BREFORTON GRANGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301470.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2019 at 05:23:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
BARN ABOUT 40 METRES NORTH OF BREFORTON GRANGE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Worcestershire
District:
Wychavon (District Authority)
Parish:
Bretforton
National Grid Reference:
SP 08648 44227

Details

BRETFORTON CP - SP 0844 - SP 0944 Barn about IO metres 13/22 north of Bretforton 30.7.59 Grange

GV II*

Barn. C15 with some early C19 alterations. Timber-frame, weatherboarded, on coursed lias plinth with Cotswold stone roof. Nine framed bays aligned east/west, originally 11 bays, two to west replaced by C19 cartshed, two C15 porches on north side. North front has two gabled porches, the gables weatherboarded with full-height doors below. Framing is close-studded with a rail, and passing tension braces. Roof has two struts to collar, clasped purlin and arch-braced tie-beams. This is one of the finest surviving barns built for Evesham Abbey. At the time of survey one of the roof trusses had collapsed. (February 1986). (Bond, C J: "The Estates of Evesham Abbey: a preliminary survey of their medieval topography", Vale of Evesham Historical Society Research Papers, Vol 4, 1973, p 14, fig 3; VCH, 2, p 360; BoE, p 100)

Listing NGR: SP0864844227

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
148624
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1906), 360
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 100
'Vale of Evesham Historical Society Research Papers' in Vale of Evesham Historical Society Research Papers, , Vol. 4, (1973), 14

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/07441/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Harnwell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].