GAYLES HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1301490

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Statutory Address: GAYLES HOUSE, WEST STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of GAYLES HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301490 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 09:22:30.

Location

Statutory Address: GAYLES HOUSE, WEST STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: Gayles

National Grid Reference: NZ 12316 07504

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NZ 1207-1307 GAYLES WEST STREET (west side)

15/40 Gayles House 4.2.69

GV II

House, now farmhouse. Early C19 rebuilding of earlier house. Coursed dressed stone, Westmorland slate roof. L-shaped plan. 2 storeys plus cellar below front rooms, 3 bays. Quoins. Central door of 6 fielded panels below fanlight with decorative glazing bars in ashlar surround with paterae on cavetto brackets supporting open pediment. Sash windows with glazing bars with ashlar projecting sills and flush monolithic lintels scored as if of separate voussoirs. First-floor band. Roof hipped to right. Stacks rise from ridge over first bay of windows and from behind third bay. Single-storey lean-to outbuilding to right not of special interest. In rear wall of kitchen wing, projecting from rear right of plan, blocked tall pointed-arched opening; in right return of wing, 2 blocked round-arched windows. Left return: rendered; round-arched landing window with radial glazing bars. Interior: inside of front door has egg-and-dart motif carved round panels; other interior doors of 6 fielded panels; in kitchen in rear wing, tripartite ashlar fireplace with coved mantelshelf, and stone newel staircase in left corner beside fireplace; to rear left, behind sitting room, cantilevered stone staircase with moulded treads and wrought-iron stick balusters with wreathed handrail, leading to flagged first-floor passage supported on vaulted ceiling to ground-floor passage below. A house on the site was used as a school in the mid C18, and in the early C19 belonged to the Hird famly who had a brewery in the outbuildings behind the house. North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report No 767.

Listing NGR: NZ1231607504

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 322741

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report' in North Yorkshire and Cleveland Vernacular Buildings Study Group Report, , Vol. 767, ()

End of official listing