This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

WARDOUR HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: WARDOUR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1301540

Location

WARDOUR HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County of Herefordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Whitney-on-Wye

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 31-Oct-1988

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Nov-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 150671

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WHITNEY ON WYE CP WHITNEY ON WYE SO 24 NE 5/116 Wardour House - II Rectory, now house. Circa 1735, with mid-C19 alterations. Coursed dressed rubble with ashlar dressings and steeply-pitched hipped slate roof, rubble end chimneys and rear chimney with brick stacks. Two storeys and attic with dormers; three-course bands at storey levels. 2:1:2 bays; central bay is gabled and projects slightly. Windows on main storeys have wedge lintels with raised dropped keyblocks, ashlar sills, and are all 12-pane sashes. There are two gabled dormers with moulded bargeboards and 4-pane sashes and within the central gable is a keyed oculus. The central entrance has a flat timber canopy on straight timber brackets and a 6-panelled door (two upper panels are glazed). There is a lean-to outshut adjoining the right side elevation and a continuous lean-to outshut at rear. Built to replace the former rectory destroyed in the floods of 1735.

Listing NGR: SO2681147452

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SO 26811 47452

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301540 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 12:52:16.

End of official listing