IPSLEY COURT (NORTH WING)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1301602

Date first listed: 10-Apr-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Nov-1986

Statutory Address: IPSLEY COURT (NORTH WING), BERRINGTON CLOSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of IPSLEY COURT (NORTH WING)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301602 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 17:23:26.

Location

Statutory Address: IPSLEY COURT (NORTH WING), BERRINGTON CLOSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Redditch (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 06501 66628

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REDDITCH B BERRINGTON CLOSE (west side) SP 06 NE Ipsley

2/14 Ipsley Court (north wing) (formerly Listed as Ipsley 10.4.54 Court South Wing and North Wing now used as Stable block) )

GV II

North wing of large house, converted to barn and stable, now offices. Late C17 (with earlier origins); altered c1724 and mid-C18; restored and remodelled late C20. Handmade red brick in English bond with steeply-pitched machine- tiled hipped roof and brick ridge stack. L-plan; main part of roughly six bays aligned east/west with south-west single-bay return; wagon bay with opposed round-headed cart entries situated in fourth bay from east end of main part. Two storeys with chamfered plinth, two-course band between main storeys and prominent C18 moulded and bracketed eaves cornice, now much restored. Windows are all C20 casements some of which are inserted in original (or C18) openings; two double doors with transom lights at east end of south elevation; also blind round-headed archway with stone impost blocks at east end of north elevation with inserted double doors and transom light. Round-headed archways in wagon bay are glazed and have glazed doors. Interior: wagon bay retains two collar and tie-beam trusses with two struts of probable mid-C18 date. Ipsley Court is believed to be the remains of the Great House built for Sir John Huband in C16. The south return of the north wing was originally attached to the central part of the house which was demolished in 1724 when it was sold to the Reverend John Colben. In the mid-C18 the surviving north wing and south wing (qv) were restored by Dr Walter Lander (father of W S Landor, the poet) and the north wing was altered to form a barn and stable. During the late C20 a new central section was built linked to the wings by brick walls. (VCH 3, p 123; BoE, p 201).

Listing NGR: SP0650366606

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 156490

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Worcester, (1913), 123
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 201

End of official listing