BLACK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1301676

Date first listed: 20-Feb-1953

Statutory Address: BLACK HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BLACK HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301676 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 19:56:04.

Location

Statutory Address: BLACK HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)

Parish: King's Pyon

National Grid Reference: SO 43730 50505

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/10/2012

SO 45 SW 1/38 20.2.53

KING'S PYON Black Hall

GV II*

House. Probably C15, remodelled and extended circa early C17, altered circa C18. Timber-framed with plaster infill, partly faced in English garden wall bond red brick, sandstone rubble plinth and extension. Plain tile roof with gabled and hipped ends. Large stone rubble lateral stacks with set-offs and later brick shafts. PLAN: 2 east bays of a medieval open hall remain on NW corner to which 2 ranges were added in circa early C17 forming an L-shaped plan; S range is of 2-room plan and E range has 2 rooms between which is a stairhall and small back room. In C18 an outshut and large integral stack was built on W side of S wing and S front of E wing was faced in brick. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys 3-window brick S front with C19 2-3 and 4-light casements with glazing bars, those on ground floor larger and with cambered arches, circa C18 or early Cl9 6-panel door to left of centre with porch. Gabled-ended wing on left with close-studding, tension braces and jettied first floor on all three sides, the left (W) side built against by stone outshut and large integral stack; C19 1,2,3 and 4-light casements with glazing bars. Rear (N) large framing, large lateral stack and lower early range on right (NW). INTERIOR: 2-bay medieval N W range; 2 remaining cruck trusses, the centre open, the E with complete hip; trenched purlins, diagonal ridgepiece curved wind-braces and some reused rafters, all smoke-blackened; inserted floor, E bay with chamfered cross beams and broad unchamfered joists, W bay has wall-post on N side with carved capital. S wing has queen-post roof with trenched purlins and thin wind-braces, ovolo-moulded ceiling beams on both floors and dragon beams to jetties on 3 sides, W side underbuilt with outshut and fireplace with chamfered stone jambs: E. wing has framed ceiling with deeply chamfered beams and joists, inscription 'NOW EST MORTALE QUOD OPTO' over doorway, C18 open-well staircase with stick balusters, square newels and moulded rail, and C19 king-post and strut roof. C17 joinery includes some panelling and scratch-moulded door in S wing. SOURCES: RCHM Vol III, p.88.



Listing NGR: SO4373050505

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 149719

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 88

End of official listing