GREAT HOUSE AND FLANKING WALLS ATTACHED TO NORTH AND SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1301736
Date first listed:
02-Sep-1966
Statutory Address:
GREAT HOUSE AND FLANKING WALLS ATTACHED TO NORTH AND SOUTH

Map

Ordnance survey map of GREAT HOUSE AND FLANKING WALLS ATTACHED TO NORTH AND SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301736 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 05:30:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
GREAT HOUSE AND FLANKING WALLS ATTACHED TO NORTH AND SOUTH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Canon Pyon
National Grid Reference:
SO 45234 49114

Details

CANON PYON CP - SO 44 NE 5/11 Great House and flanking walls attached 2.9.66 to north and south GV II House. GS/1737 on rainwater heads. Brick with limestone and sandstone dressings. Hipped Welsh slate roof and brick stacks. T-plan with garden front to west. Cellar, two storeys and attics. West elevation has 3:1:3 windows, glazing bar sashes, the outer ones in full-height bows and gauged brick heads. Stone plinth, plat band and moulded cornice beneath flat coping. Dated lead rainwater heads to each corner. Central Doric porch with two unfluted columns. Frieze with lozenges containing paterae in metopes. Cornice has projections on soffit above guttae and triglyphs. Doorway has fluted architrave, enriched fanlight. Glazed two-leaved doors, probably late C19. Projecting range to east has dentilled brick eaves cornice and two entries, both with columns. Interior has re-positioned three-flight C18 oak open well staircase with turned balusters and carved tread ends. Flanking brick walls extend about 15 yards north and south. Each has a doorway that to the south with wrought iron gate. It is possible that the bows are not of 1737 date; if they are (the brickwork is coursed in) this is a very early example of a type of facade design later in the century to become very popular. (BoE, p 99; RCHM, Vol II, p 47).

Listing NGR: SO4523449114

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
149692
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 47
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 99

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].