This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

PARADISE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARADISE

List entry Number: 1301785

Location

PARADISE, LOW ROW

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Melbecks

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Apr-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 322047

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MELBECKS LOW ROW SD 99 NE (south side) 15/106 Paradise GV II* House and manufactory in equal halves under 1 roof. Dated 1653 with C18 alterations. Rubble on boulder plinth with ashlar surrounds to openings, stone slate roof. 3 storeys, added rear outshut. House: 3 bays. Central C20 panelled door in C17 quoined surround with recessed panels on lintel inscribed 'I F' '1653'. To left, 3-light chamfered- mullion window with moulded surround containing 8-pane casements. To right of door and on upper floors, sash windows with glazing bars in plain surrounds. On right, added bay with on each floor a 2-light flat- faced mullion window containing small sashes. On left, manufactory: in left corner, boarded door in plain stone surround; in right corner, C20 boarded door in hollow-chamfered stone surround. C18 mullioned windows: ground floor: three 2-light, one 4-light, with casements; first floor: two 2-lights, one 3-light, 1 single light; second floor: three 2-light, two 3-light; upper floors with side-sliding sashes. Shaped kneelers, ashlar copings overall; stacks at ends, 1 bay in from both ends, and in centre. Chimney-breast projects from right return of house. In right end of outshut 2 cart-sheds each with segmental arch of ashlar voussoirs with keystone, 1 with double boarded doors, 1 blocked. Interior: stone stairs in rear outshut of manufactory. C18 roof timbers. A major centre of the Swaledale knitting industry, belonging to the Fryer, then the Parke families. M Hartley, J Ingilby, The Yorkshire Dales, 1963, p 259.

Listing NGR: SD9822997884

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hartley, M, Ingilby, J, The Yorkshire Dales, (1974), 259

National Grid Reference: SD 98229 97884

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301785 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 06:00:24.

End of official listing