CHURCH OF ST. LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1301811

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1957

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. LEONARD, RECTORY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST. LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301811 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 04:04:49.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST. LEONARD, RECTORY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Basingstoke and Deane (District Authority)

Parish: Oakley

National Grid Reference: SU 56733 50343

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 55 SE OAKLEY AND DEANE RECTORY ROAD 9/20 26.4.57 Church of St Leonard

II*

Early C16, 1869. A medieval church rebuilt by Archbishop Warham in the early C16, and again by T H Wyatt in 1869, when the chancel was rebuilt, the north aisle added, and the tower virtually rebuilt. The chancel has north and south 'chapels' at its western half, separated by 2 moulded pointed arches resting on short coupled marble columns, with Decorated floral caps and moulded bases; there is a small piscina on each side in the eastern half, and a lancet above a sedilia on the south side; the chancel arch is stepped and fully-moulded, resting on decorated brackets on either side of a short marble column on a bracket. The south aisle has the form of its C16 addition to the original church, with 3 coupled windows, a canopied tomb with a brass (of Robert Warham and his wife), and at the west end a detached altar tomb with 2 recumbent alabaster figures (a Knight and Lady of circa 1520); the 2 arches are unequal, the western being pointed (transitional) on round columns with cushion caps, the other (Perpendicular)having a ½-hexagon form with recessed cusped panels. The north aisle is plain with south aisle features, and 2 equal pointed arches on circular columns with moulded caps and bases. The tower arch is C15 and also the west door. The pulpit is of coloured stonework and the font is a 'Norman Revival' massive structure. The chancel ceiling is panelled and the nave has exposed timbers with arch braces and short hammer beams. Externally, the roofing is of steep red tiling. The walling is flint with stone dressings, the aisles having parapets and buttresses. The prominent tower has a Perpendicular style, a tall octagonal staircase, stepped diagonal buttresses and a crenellated parapet, all of the restoration period. A Victorian church of orthodox form with a finely-detailed finish.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 138815

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing