THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1301848
Date first listed:
18-Sep-1953
Statutory Address:
THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301848 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 22:00:02.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD GRAMMAR SCHOOL, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
County of Herefordshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Ledbury
National Grid Reference:
SO 71171 37729

Details

1. 5245 CHURCH LANE (North Side) ------------ The Old Grammar School SO 7137 NE 2/11 18.9.53.

II* GV

Late C15. Was schoolroom and masters house, now 3 tenements. Timber-framed with plastered panels. The south front projects heavily on the 1st floor on the original moulded bressumer and carved brackets springing from octagonal shafts with moulded capitals. 2 storeys. 5 windows. Old canted bay window on left of ground floor and old casements with leaded panes, 1 with 4 lights in gable of the east end. Timber framing also exposed at rear and east end. Tiled roof with gable ends. Was once schoolroom and masters house endowed in fort from Holy Trinity Chantry, dissolved 1547. It is reputed that the poet the Rev Thoms Traherne 1637-74 was educated here.

The Town Council Offices, No 3, Public Lavatories, Hawkes and Terry, Prince of Terry Prince of wales Inn, the Old Grammar School and Rutherglen form a group.

Listing NGR: SO7117137729

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
151822
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jun 2000
Reference: IOE01/01857/10
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Kenneth M Walker. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].