CHURCH OF ST JOHN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1301876
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301876 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 06:30:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Hampshire
District:
Winchester (District Authority)
Parish:
Shedfield
National Grid Reference:
SU 56164 13300

Details

SHEDFIELD CHURCH ROAD SU 51 SE 6/7 Church of St John II

Parish church. 1875, by Colson, Tower of 1887, of Early English style. Walls of squared limestone rubble with Bath stone dressings; plinth, stepped buttresses (diagonal at the corners): large east and west windows with Geometrical Tracery, aisle windows of grouped (2 or 3) lancets, a rose window above triple lancets to the south transept, circular clearstory frame with pointed cinquefoil lights. Steep tile roof. Tower of four stages, plinth, entrance doorway on the south side, buttresses with gabled steps, crenellated parapet and crocketted corner pinnacles. Of regular arrangement, nave of five bays with aisles, tower at the west bay of the south aisle, chancel with north and south transepts, north porch. Inside, the walls are of red brickwork with yellow (some black) banding, the soffit of the pointed arches being cut with a dog-tooth pattern: the columns are placed diagonally with stone shafts, with base and band mouldings, and elaborately carved leaf caps. The fittings are all of the period; stone pulpit, octagonal font (in the eastern most bay of the south aisle), light wood chancel screen.

Listing NGR: SP5364708496

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
146193
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/09190/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Paul Vine. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].