This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FLATTS FARMHOUSE, GARDEN WALLS AND RAILINGS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FLATTS FARMHOUSE, GARDEN WALLS AND RAILINGS

List entry Number: 1301965

Location

FLATTS FARMHOUSE, GARDEN WALLS AND RAILINGS, VILLAGE STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Carlton Town

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II

Date first listed: 13-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 322565

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CARLTON TOWN VILLAGE STREET SE 0684-0784 (north side) 16/83 Flatts Farmhouse, garden walls and railings 13.2.67 GV II

Farmhouse, garden walls and railings. Early - mid C18 house, with earlier origins; C19 railings. Coursed rubble, stone slate roof; cast-iron railings. House: 2 storeys with rear 2-storey outshut, 2:1 bays. Left 2 bays: quoins; central part-glazed 4-panel door in raised-quoin surround with wooden canopy supported on wrought-iron brackets; above door a large triangular-headed ashlar panel with inscription, dated 1861, commemorating Henry Constantine, the Coverdale Bard; 3-light flat-faced mullion windows in ashlar architraves; shaped kneeler and ashlar coping to left; end stacks, that to left corniced. To right, bay slightly recessed; quoins to right; 16-pane sash windows in flush ashlar surrounds; end stack to right. Left return, in outshut: on each floor the surround of a 2-light double-chamfered mullion window. In front of house, swept side walls of garden of coursed rubble with slab coping; along front of garden, low ashlar round-arched base supporting railings with fleurs-de-lys finials and central gate; chamfered rusticated ashlar gate piers and terminals of side walls with pyramidal caps. Henry Constantine was a prosperous landowner, Coverdale's overseer for rates and tithes, and the founder of several charities. He had the inscription on the house put up himself, and died in 1869 aged 72. The Dalesman, vol 47, no 11 (February 1986), pp 947-8.

Listing NGR: SE0634084623

Selected Sources

Books and journals
'The Dalesman' in February, , Vol. 47, (1986), 947 948

National Grid Reference: SE 06340 84623

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301965 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 01:03:47.

End of official listing