CHANTRY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1301990

Date first listed: 24-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: CHANTRY HOUSE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHANTRY HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1301990 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2018 at 17:54:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CHANTRY HOUSE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire (District Authority)

Parish: West Witton

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

National Grid Reference: SE 05508 88046

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SE 08 NE WEST WITTON CHANTRY

13/98 Chantry House

- II

Farmhouse. Dated 1766, possibly earlier in core. For Clarkson family. Rubble, artificial slate roof, stone slate roof to wing. T-shaped plan, main range facing south-west, with rear wing at right angles. 2 storeys, 4 bays. Quoins. In bay 3, C20 projecting gabled porch over part-glazed door in ashlar surround with waved top to lintel and inscription on fascia C "17IA66". C20 sash windows with glazing bars in ashlar surrounds. Shaped kneelers, ashlar copings. End stacks. Left return shows older, lower roofline. Right return has blocked single-light window in gable. South-east side of rear range: round-headed landing window with thick glazing bars, radial at top, in ashlar surround with imposts and keystone; 2 bays of sash windows with glazing bars in ashlar surrounds. Shaped kneeler, ashlar coping to right. Stacks between bays 1 and 2 and at end right. Interior: squat doors of six fielded panels, staircase with turned balusters. The house is believed to have formed a cell of Jervaulx Abbey. In 1720, the house called Chantry was licensed as a place of meeting for Quakers. VCH i, p. 287; H. Speight, Romantic Richmondshire (1897), p. 413.

Listing NGR: SE0550888046

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 321846

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of York: North Riding, (1914), 287
Speight, H, Romantic Richmondshire, (1897), 413

End of official listing