BOLLAND HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1302025
Date first listed:
05-Apr-1988
Statutory Address:
BOLLAND HALL, POTTERY BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOLLAND HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302025.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 08:22:42.

Location

Statutory Address:
BOLLAND HALL, POTTERY BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Morpeth
National Grid Reference:
NZ 19496 86552

Details

MORPETH POTTERY BANK NZ 1986

22/360 Bolland Hall

II

School, now warehouse. 1860 for Mrs Bolland, widow of a Morpeth curate. Light red and cream brick in alternate bands of 4 courses; some stone dressings. Lakeland slate roof with tile ridge and brick stacks. Gothic style with 5-gabled front. 2 storeys and attic, 5 bays, defined by slope-topped, banded buttresses, paired at right; bays differ slightly in width. Enlarged square-headed cart entrance at ground floor right. 6-panel door in centre bay in wide partly-blocked 2-centred-arched opening with banded brick voussoirs. Other openings similar, narrower in second and third bays. Downstairs openings partly blocked and glazing changed. Upstairs each arch holds 3 stepped lancets in solid panels; top left window altered. Eaves broken by a gable above each bay, stone-coped with cross finial, and oculus within. Broken eaves gutter; lowered end stacks. 4 tie-rod ends at right under eaves. Historical note: Bolland Hall was built as a day industrial school for the "half- neglected children on the north side of Newgate Street ......". It became a National Girls' School, and was amalgamated with St James's Church of England Schools in 1885. Acquired by the Presbyterians it was used as Mission School and Sunday School until 1937. Included for historical interest.

Listing NGR: NZ1949686552

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238915
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00755/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David J Wilkinson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].