This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

List entry Number: 1302046

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Muker

National Park: YORKSHIRE DALES

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 322232

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 99 NW MUKER MUKER

14/147 Church of Saint Mary 7.12.66 GV II *

Church. 1580, C18, restored 1891. Rubble, stone slate roof. West tower, nave and chancel under 1 roof, south porch. Tower: possibly 1580. 3 stages. Quoins. On ground floor, a vent with vertical iron bar. 2-light chamfered-mullion belfry openings. Bench-mark on west face. Lead rainwater head cast with "R METCALFE, I CALVERT, C-WARDENS 1793". Porch: dated 1849 on kneeler. Coursed stone. Sundial. Inner doorway: 4-centred arch, chamfered, with inscription "LW 1719 IP". Nave and chancel: substantially of 1580. 3 and 2 bays. 2-light chamfered-mullion window to south-west. Other windows C19, of 2 trefoil-headed lights with hoodmoulds. East window: 3 trefoil-headed lights under hoodmould. North side has C18 lead rainwater head. Interior: beaded wall plate and roof timbers substantially of 1580, but raised from steeper thatched pitch in 1761. Font: C19, round basin on cylindrical shaft and base. On south wall of sanctuary, a small stone inscribed "SG 1769". Against north wall of sanctuary, vertical slab commemorating Mr James of the parish of Redrith, Cornwall, d.1746. South wall of chancel, memorial to Alexander Calvert of Richmond, land agent and commissioner under Inclosure Acts, d.1834. North wall of nave, memorial to Edmund Alderson Knowles of Low Row d.1835 by G Green, Newcastle, and board painted with rules for use of Parish Hearse, 1836. A rare example of a new church in 1580. E Cooper, Muker: The Story of a Yorkshire Parish (1948).

Listing NGR: SD9105597880

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cooper, E , Muker The Story of a Yorkshire Parish, (1948)

National Grid Reference: SD 91055 97880

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302046 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2018 at 09:30:35.

End of official listing