CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1302086

Date first listed: 05-Dec-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, BERRY LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302086 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 13:19:14.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY, BERRY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: Winchester (District Authority)

Parish: Twyford

National Park: SOUTH DOWNS

National Grid Reference: SU 48134 25063

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 42 NE TWYFORD BERRY LANE

5/42 CHURCH OF ST MARY 5/12/55 (formerly listed under GV General) II* Parish church. 1875-8 by R A Waterhouse incorporating older materials. Knapped flint with brick bands and stone dressings, plain and fishscale tiles. On site falling from E to W. Plan of nave with clerestory and aisles, tall chancel with slightly lower ridges. S and N chapels (that to N vestry) and NW tower with porch under. E end of chancel has stone plinth and offset below 4-light perp. window and kneelered gable. Chapels set back with plinths and buttress to N. Reused 3-light C15 perp. windows pointed to S square to N. N chapel has reused pointed door and square-headed cinquefoil windows and similar windows to S. Aisles have plinths which steps down towards W, and 2 and 3-light square-headed cinquefoils. Clerestory has C15 square-headed trefoiled 2-light windows some C19 work. At W end of S aisle wide pointed doorway. At W end of N aisle tower, with wide pointed N door between buttresses to top of 2nd stage. NE half-octagon stair turret rising to same level, and similar buttresses to W. Top stage has flint and brick chequer- work with pointed 2-light openings, stone crennelations and short octagonal tiled spire with vane. Pointed 3-light window to S aisle. and large 5-light pointed W nave window. Inside chancel has elaborate reredos with painted panels and similar each side above panelling. Painted barrel vaulted roofs to chancel and S chapel. Tall chancel arch and 6 steps down to body of church. Nave has 5 arcade bays with reused late C12 round piers with trumpet- scallop, broad leaf, unusual diagonal fluting capitals. In N aisle C12 Purbeck octagonal font with blank arcading. Monuments in S chapel: 1616 to Dulcebella Welles, alabaster frame to black inscription panel, strongly convex with crest below and pilasters each side. In S aisle tablets: 1719 to Jona- thon Shipley; 1796 to Elizabeth Shipley; 1800 to Amelia Shipley. At W end of nave monuments: 1726 to William Davies by R Leversuch, similar to 1616 mon.; 1788 to Jonathon Shipley, Bishop of St Asaph by F Nollekens of large inscrip- tion tablet supporting grey obelisk with bust in profile and bishop's trophys, and tablet panel below; 1806 to Georgiana Naylor (née Shipley) by J Flaxman, inscription panel supporting reading woman seated in front of squat obelisk.

Listing NGR: SU4817425094

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 145949

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing