PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY WITH HOLY TRINITY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1302110

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Oct-1981

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY WITH HOLY TRINITY, ST MARY'S STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY WITH HOLY TRINITY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302110 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 05:36:49.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY WITH HOLY TRINITY, ST MARY'S STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Southampton (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SU 42622 11657

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. ST MARY'S STREET 5239 Parish Church of St Mary with Holy Trinity (formerly listed as Church of St Mary) SU 4211 4/225 14.7.53

II

2. Massive church built 1878-84 to the designs of G E Street on the site of a major collegiate church of the middle ages. But gutted in the Second World War and rebuilt in 1954-6, retaining Street's steeple and some outside walls. Built of ashlar C20 nave with buttresses, clerestry with plain modern lancets and slate roof. Large tower in 3 stages circa 1880, having broached spire with lucarnes erected in 1914 but to Street's design. The Baptistory of circa 1880 survives and has stained glass by Clayton and Bell. The reredos depicting the Nativity by Earp also remains. Included for fine tower and steeple which are also a local landmark.

Listing NGR: SU4255313582

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 135917

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing