This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1302203

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County of Herefordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Marden

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 26-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 153989

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SO 54 NW MARDEN CP MARDEN

4/23 Church of St Mary

- 26.1.67 GV I

Parish church. C13 and C14 with major rebuilding of nave in 1858 by T Nicholson. Coursed sandstone rubble mostly dressed, ashlar to tower, slate nave and aisle roofs, stone slate chancel roof. C14 north-west tower, aisled nave of four bays, sanctus bell-cote, two-bay C14 chancel with polygonal east end, C19 south porch. North-west tower: three stages, angle buttresses to north-west and north-east corners, 2-light openings with ogee heads to bell-chamber, recessed stone spire, plain parapet with pyramidical corner pinnacles; entry from east through low 2-centred arch and C19 ledged door. Scars of demolished north porch incised on east side. Nave: largely rebuilt-by Nicholson in Decorated Style, 3- and 2-light windows with Bathstone details; three C19 quatrefoiled clerestorey lights to north and south. East end of south aisle has 2- light ogee window probably C14. Restored C13 south doorway reset behind south porch. Chancel: trefoiled 2-light windows with cinquefoil above, priests' door to south side, buttress at each angle. Interior: the north arcade has circular piers and capitals; the south octagonal equivalents; double chamfered 2-centred chancel arch with scars of rood screen in jambs and a squint to each side. C19 nave roof of collar trusses made of thin scantling. Chancel roof has three king-post trusses, possibly C19. Low piscina under trefoil head set very low. C13 or C14 dodecagonal font, each face of which has trefoiled panel with octagonal base and restored shaft. Late C19 stone pulpit with marble columns supported on cluster of four heavy keel-moulded shafts. Monuments: brass to Margate Chute, 1614 and marble aedicule to Philibert Burghill died 1653 both on north wall of chancel. On its east wall aedicule with broken pediment and Ionic pilasters to Sara Unett, died 1732. (RCHM, Vol II, p 135; BoE, p 250).

Listing NGR: SO5117647060

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire II East, (1932), 135
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, (1963), 250

National Grid Reference: SO 51180 47057

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302203 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Sep-2018 at 09:42:39.

End of official listing