THE OLD FARM HOUSE PUBLIC HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1302207
Date first listed:
14-Jul-1953
Statutory Address:
THE OLD FARM HOUSE PUBLIC HOUSE, MOUNT PLEASANT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD FARM HOUSE PUBLIC HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302207 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 03:33:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD FARM HOUSE PUBLIC HOUSE, MOUNT PLEASANT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Southampton (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 42806 12986

Details

1. MOUNT PLEASANT ROAD 5239 The Old Farm House Public House SU 4212 2/167 14.7.53

II*

2. Dated 1611 E. R. in brickwork but core probably earlier. There was a grange of St Denys Priory on the site in the Middle Ages. The Southampton map of 1560 shows a farmhouse on the site. There is said to be a tunnel connecting this building with Bitterne Manor. Two storeys red brick on a stone base which is probably part of an earlier building. Moulded carved corbelled brick stringcourse at first floor level in central portion of front. Irregular elevation with 2 gables. Timber-framing to upper part. Two large restored chimney stacks, with diamond-shaped shafts in groups. Modern tiled roof. Modern windows. Original oak panelled iron studded door with later brick porch. The first floor rooms have exposed windbraces and the roof is of queen post construction. Parlour with early C16 stone fireplace with 4 centred arch and panelling and fine carved over mantel of circa 1611.

Listing NGR: SU4255313582

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
135859
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Oct 2000
Reference: IOE01/03170/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stuart Goodall. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].