CHURCH OF ST WILFRID
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, AVERHAM ROAD
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302213 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 04:13:42.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, AVERHAM ROAD
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Newark and Sherwood (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 77377 55391
SK 75 NE KELHAM off AVERHAM ROAD
7/52 Church of
Parish church. C14, C15, Early C18, restored 1874 by Hodgson Fowler. Ashlar, dressed stone and coursed rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. Continuous crenellated parapet. West tower, nave, north aisle, north porch, south aisle, south porch, south chancel (Lexington) chapel. West tower, 4 stages, moulded plinth, 3 string courses, moulded eaves band, 4 gargoyles, 4 crocketed pinnacles. Pair of clasping buttresses to west, changing to diagonal buttresses in third stage. Pair of similar buttresses to east, engaged with aisles. Firststage has to south, a stair light. To west, sill band and a stair light. Second stage has to west C16 triple lancet with cusped round heads, Perpendicular tracery, coved mullions, coved, rebated and roll moulded reveals and hood mould with mask stops. Third stage has to south, single elliptical headed louvred opening. To west, restored chamfered rectangular opening with lattice infill. To north, clock. Fourth stage has 4 C15 double lancet bell openings with coved mullions, chamfered reveal and hood moulds with mask stops. Nave, 3 bays, has crenellated east gable with cross, and moulded eaves band. North east corner has octagonal stair turret with 2 chamfered doorways. On each side, 3 restored C15 triple lancets with plain round heads and panel tracery. Coved mullions and reveals and hood moulds. North aisle, 3 bays, has deep moulded and chamfered plinth, sill band, coved eaves band. Single diagonal buttress to east, and single intermediate buttress to north, 2 setoffs. East and west ends have single windows, north side has 2 windows, all restored C15 triple lancets with round heads, Perpendicular tracery, coved mullions, double coved reveals and hood moulds. North porch, C15, has plinth, sill band, eaves and parapet as north aisle, and a pair of diagonal buttresses to north, single setoff, plus plinths. North doorway has chamfered and coved four centred arched head with hood mould. Interior has stone benches and, to east, a stoup. C19 low pitched principal rafter roof with roll moulded timbers. North door has restored four centred arched head, coved and rebated, with coved hood mould. Original C15 door with lancet panels. South aisle, 3 bays, similar to north aisle, with single diagonal buttress to west and single buttress to south, both 2 setoffs. Single window to west, and 2 to south, all C15 triple lancets with round heads, simple panel tracery, coved mullions nd reveals and hood moulds. South porch is identical to north porch. South doorway identical to north doorway, but less restored. C19 door. Chancel, 2 bays, has partial deep moulded plinth, coved eaves band and east gable with cross and niche containing figure. East end has a pair of diagonal buttresses, 2 offs. North side has to east, blocked doorway, and above, remains of a buttress. To west, restored four centred arched doorway with hood mould. to west again, C15 triple lancet with round heads, Perpendicular tracery, coved mullions and reveal and hood mould. East end has late C15 5 light lancet with four centred arched heads and panel tracery. Chamfered mullions and double coved reveal with Tudor arched head and hood mould. South side has to east, a triple lancet like those on north side. South chancel Lexington chapel, c.1723, 2 bays. Chamfered plinth, sill band, impost band, deep moulded cornice. South side has 2 round headed leaded casements with corniced keystones. Between them, moulded square panel with memorial tablet to Gervas Lock, late C18. Nave north and south arcades, late C14, 3 bays. Chamfered cruciform piers with moulded octagonal bases and capitals. Matching responds. Double coved and roll moulded arches with hood moulds. Above, coved sill band and double cove moulded window reveals. C19 low pitched principal rafter roof with arch braces on octagonal corbels and moulded principal timbers. Tower arch, C15, double chamfered and rebated, with octagonal responds with moulded bases and billeted, crenellated capitals. Tower chamber has C15 plank door with four centred arched head. North aisle has to west, doorway with hood mould and mask stops. 2 windows to east have C15 stained glass fragments. East end has to north a rebated square aumbry. East window has stained glass, 1948. C15 low pitched principal rafter roof. The 2 central bays have moulded and billeted tie beams and moulded braces to moulded arched principal rafters. Moulded purlins and ridge. South aisle has doorway with hood mould, and C19 roof, a replica of that in north aisle. Traceried panelled organ case in east end. Chancel arch, late C14. Triple cove and roll moulded, with cruciform responds and hood mould. Late C15 panelled timber screen, 5 bays, restored and with renewed cresting. To its left, restored doorway, and above, blocked opening leading to rood loft, both restored. Chancel north side has to west window with stained glass, 1879, and to east, C15 doorway with C19 timber hood. East end has C19 panelled reredos and gradine and window with stained glass, 1888. South side has to east small chamfered C14 piscina and window with stained glass C19. To west, moulded arched opening to Lexington Chapel with restored late C15 parclose screen, with panel tracery and restored cresting. C19 low pitched principal rafter roof with arch braces oncarved C19 corbels, and moulded timbers. Lexington chapel has sill and impost bands, moulded cornice and plaster ceiling. To east and west, paired round headed niches with corniced keystones. Fittings include octagonal timber pulpit with C17 moulded stem and base, C19 traceried panelled top and steps. C13 eggcup font with roll moulded edge, on later round stem with moulded base and ring. Early C19 conical cover with turned finials. C19 traceried panelled lectern with octagonal stem. C19 panelled benches, 2 C19 carved clergy desks, 2 matching choir stalls, 2 C19 choir stalls with fleur de lys finials. Monuments include important free-standing tomb of Robert Sutton, Lord Lexington, 1723, and Lady Lexington, 1703, and 2 children. Classical style, marble. Rectangular chest with segmental ends, moulded plinth and base, reeded vase-shaped corner pilasters. Inscribed panels on three sides, and to west, panel with Arms. Above, single male and female reclining figures, life size, in Roman dress, he with a book and coronet, she with a ring. Figures by William Palmer, 1726. Painted ashlar wall monument with scroll top, moulded panel and hatchment, verse and inscription, 1763; marble tablet, 1792; Egyptian style slate and marble tablet, 1842; C14 style marble and slate tablet with ogee head and crocketed surround, by T. Gaffin, 1864. Marble and slate tablet, 1874. C18 Royal Arms in moulded framed panel. Single brasses, C19 and C20.
Listing NGR: SK7737855390
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing