EACHWICK HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1302251

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: EACHWICK HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of EACHWICK HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302251 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 13:34:46.

Location

Statutory Address: EACHWICK HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Stamfordham

National Grid Reference: NZ 11515 71153

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STAMFORDHAM EACHWICK NZ 17 SW

16/375 Eachwick Hall 27.8.52

GV II*

House. Early C18, extended to rear 1768, west side altered early C19. Ashlar with Welsh slate roof. Originally a T-plan house but now, with subsequent additions, 4 irregular ranges round a small courtyard.

3-storey, 9-bay facade. Central doorway has surround of Tuscan pilasters superimposed on taller, square corniced piers with urn finials; shield in elaborate cartouche above door. Narrow, mainly 2-pane sashes, with moulded sills and roll-moulded edges to reveals. Outer 2 bays on each side have top cornices and castellated parapets with higher corniced and castellated corner turrets. Gabled roofs with corniced end and ridge stacks.

3-bay facade on left return has 2-storey centre and 3-storey castellated outer bays. Early C19 castellated porch with 6-panelled door flanked by Tuscan pilasters; cartouche over. Late C18 Gothick window above. Outer bays have sash windows with double-chamfered surrounds and parapets similar to front but each pierced with a vertical oval. Right bay is early C18, left bay an early C19 copy to create symmetry.

To rear former segmental archway into courtyard, now blocked with C20 door, has moulded panel above inscribed CEJ 1768.

Interior: Staircase with turned balusters, wreathed, ramped and moulded handrail, moulded soffit and panelled dado; large round-headed stair window opens on to courtyard; early C19 plaster ceiling with modillion cornice. Dining room: early C18 panelling with bolection moulded fireplace flanked by fluted pilasters; 2 round-headed niches. Drawing room, also panelled with fluted pilasters framing fireplace and a door; another doorway and a niche have panelled pilasters and panelled round-headed sopraporte; the niche has shaped shelves. A 2nd drawing room has fireplace with eared architrave, fluted pilasters, and frieze of metopes and triglyphs above panelled overmantel.

Listing NGR: NZ1151571153

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 238862

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing