This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OAKLEY HOUSE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OAKLEY HOUSE

List entry Number: 1302295

Location

OAKLEY HOUSE, BROAD STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County of Herefordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Wigmore

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 11-Jun-1959

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 150228

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WIGMORE CP BROAD STREET (east side) SO 4069 - 4169 8/49 Oakley House 11.6.59 GV II House. Circa 1600 with mid-C19 alterations. Timber-framed with painted brick and rendered infill on rubble base and slate roofs. Hall and cross- wing plan; hall part of three framed bays aligned north/south with rear external rubble chimney and rebuilt brick stack enclosed by wing of one framed bay. Intersecting cross-wing of probably two framed bays at north end. Two storeys. Framing: two rows of rectangular panels per storey with some long straight braces in lower corners. The first floor of the west front elevation is jettied on a moulded bressummer and moulded corbels. The cross-wing gable end has a deeper jetty supported on two timber posts (it was once underbuilt). The gable of the jetty has a collar and tie-beam truss with four struts and a concave V-strut above the collar. Rear wing has a collar and tie-beam truss with three struts, and a V-strut above the collar. West front elevation: the ground floor of the hall has two oriel windows, one with C19 casements and on its original moulded base with a central moulded corbel; the other with C19 multi-paned metal windows and the (possibly original) base boxed in and plastered is also a C20 casement of two lights. The south end bay has no ground floor and forms an archway for rear access. On the first floor are two 3-light and two single-light casements. The cross-wing has two ground floor single-light casements and a 3-light first floor casement, above which is a plank weathering attached to the tie-beam. The central doorway below has a half-glazed door and above it is a Sun Alliance fire insurance mark, No 339138. Interior has stop-chamfered main ceiling beams. The southernmost room is recorded to be lined with original panelling, carved and enriched and bearing the initials "KP". (RCHM, Herefs, Vol III, p 210, item 7). -

Listing NGR: SO4141469022

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire III North West, (1934), 210

National Grid Reference: SO 41411 69023

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302295 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2018 at 11:03:36.

End of official listing