Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302304.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Dec-2021 at 05:39:11.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Cambridgeshire (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TL 47978 75000


WILBURTON WEST END TL 4774; TL 4775 (North Side)

22/50; 18/50 Church of St Peter 5.2.52 GV I

Parish church. C13 remains in chancel arch, tower and tower arch. Mainly late C14-early C15. Rubble and fieldstone with clunch and limestone dressings. West tower with spire, aisleless nave, south porch and chancel. West tower of four stages with embattled parapet and leaded spire. Four stage angle buttressing and half octagonal newel stair turret in south-east corner. Rear doorway has two centred arch of clunch and limestone with wave moulding and label with mask stops. C15 west window, restored. Three cinquefoil lights in two centred arch. Bell stage has, in each side, two, two-centred openings in a two centred arch. South porch, C15, has a parvise room above. Blocked parapet with main cornice. Two storeys. Parvise room has a window of two cinquefoil lights in square head with moulded label and return stops. There is a niche with cinquefoil drop cusping in a two centred arch with square label and carved stops. The outer arch of the porch is two centred and of two wave moulded orders. The inner arch is similar. The nave has a rebuilt parapet but an original main cornice with beast gargoyles. Restored south wall windows in Ketton limestone have three cinquefoil lights with vertical tracery in two centred arch. Chancel has three similar windows of C15 in the south wall as those in the nave. Parapet also with beast gargoyles. The east window is restord and of five cinquefoil lights. Interior: Tower arch, C13. Two centred and of two wave moulded orders, the inner on keeled shaft with moulded capital and base. The aisleless nave has blank wall arcading in four bays. The two centred arches are carried on lozenge shaped piers. There are original stone seats below the arcading. The roof is also late C14-early C15. Four bays and of arched tie beam construction with jackposts on corbels enriched with carved wood demi-angels. The main beams, intermediate principals and spandrel braces are all moulded and carved with the arms and emblems of Bishop Alcock. At the intersection there are shields of arms. The north transept chapel was added in 1868. The chancel arch is C13. Two centred and of two hollow and roll moulded orders on grouped shafts with ring moulded capitals and moulded bases. The chancel has similar wall arcading as the nave. The roof too is C14-C15 and of three bays. Tie beams on jackposts with embattled corbels, moulded purlins, intermediate principals and tie beams. Four centred arch to vestry doorway in north wall. Original plank door with wood frame and cover strips. Flanking the altar two C15 niches with vaulted canopies in two centred arches with square embattled heads and heraldry to the spandrels. Early C18 communion rail of twisted balusters. Reset early C17 panelling at west end of nave with frieze from Stretham Church. Wall painting on north wall. Brasses: Richard Bole, Archdeacon of Ely (d.1477); John H 11, (d.1506), wife and children; Will Byron (d.1516), wife and children. The C14-C15 work is believed to have been carried out under the patronage of Bishops Alcock.

Pevsner: Buildings of England, p485

Listing NGR: TL4797875000


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 485


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jun 2006
Reference: IOE01/15641/19
Rights: © Mr Peter Tree. Source: Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

User contributions are not fact checked and do not represent the official position of Historic England.

Request a correction of the list entry

Read the Enriching the List Terms and Conditions

For any other issue or if you need help, please email: [email protected]

Upcoming maintenance

Enriching The List will be unavailable on 7 & 8 December to allow us to prepare for the launch of an upgraded version.