CALSHOT CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1302351

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1987

Statutory Address: CALSHOT CASTLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CALSHOT CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302351 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 08:35:38.

Location

Statutory Address: CALSHOT CASTLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Hampshire

District: New Forest (District Authority)

Parish: Fawley

National Park: NEW FOREST

National Grid Reference: SU 48877 02487

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FAWLEY CALSHOT SU 40 SE 13/13 Calshot Castle II*

Castle. 1538-41 for Henry VIII's coastal defences, altered C18, 1868-71 and C20, twice restored by DoE 1985. Dressed squared Portland stone, brick and old plain tile roofed addition. Plan of circular moat around circular island with wall around edge, raised to 3 storeys on one quadrant, for gate house. In centre of island 3½ storey keep tower. Both sides of moat faced in dressed stone, with moulded coping. On inner side wall rises from coping with open-topped embrasure. The 3 storey quadrant has slightly projecting full-height gatehouse. C20 bridge stands in front of recessed 2 deep order pointed archway with double doors. Each side pilaster with impost to chevron hood. Panel over, framed by pilasters with early Renaissance decoration. Each side loopholes. 3rd floor heavy moulded string course, that wall originally coping before wall was raised in C18. In centre, cutting string is 12-pane sash. Either side of gateway are embrasures now fitted with 2-light casements and heavy moulded string course at head of gateway level. Central keep tower has only pointed doorway on ground floor. Moulded 1st floor string. On 1st floor tall embrasures with 12-pane sashes. 2nd floor raised band. On 1st floor wider embrasures with 12-pane sashes, set slightly off-centre to those on 1st floor. Moulded cornice to tall parapet that has additional floor behind it. Building now in Ancient Monuments guardianship and owned by Hampshire County Council.

Listing NGR: SP4887602487

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 143419

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing