This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1302358



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Cambridgeshire

District: East Cambridgeshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Thetford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 49485

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



21/10 Church of St George 5.2.52 - 11*

Parish church. Late C14, mostly rebuilt C19. Fieldstone and limestone rubble and dressed limestone with plain tiled roof having end parapets. Plan of nave and chancel. West gable end has a gabled double bellcote C19, of two, two-centred arches. The west window is also C19 and of three trefoil lights. The North and South walls of the nave have, in each wall, one window of three cinquefoil lights in ogee arches and square head. The tracery is of clunch and the mullion and architrave of limestone, possibly indicating an earlier restoration. The north porch is C19. Gabled, brick and rubblestone. Two centred outer arch of two moulded orders. The east gable of the nave was rebuilt in 1665 in narrow local brick (similar to that of Manor Farm, Wentworth, q.v.). The chancel has in the north wall two windows, each of two cinquefoil lights in four centred arch. The restored east window of three cinquefoil lights has an original label with mask stops. The windows in the south wall have been restored c.1980. Interior: Roof of C19 collar rafter type. C19 two centred chancel arch of two moulded orders, the inner on engaged colonettes. The font is late C14-early C15. Tapering limestone octagonal bowl with masks to each of four panels. The stem is much restored but has fragments of blind tracery panels.

Pevsner: Buildings of England, p471 V.C.H.: Cambs., Vol. IV

Listing NGR: TL5313176306

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Cambridgeshire, (1954), 471
Salzman, L F , The Victoria History of the County of Cambridgeshire and the Isle of Ely, (1953)

National Grid Reference: TL 53131 76306


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1302358 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2018 at 07:31:21.

End of official listing